Had to take the cuttlebone away

Status
Not open for further replies.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
So it seems my little guy was filling up on only cuttlebone the last couple of days lol. So I took it away I will ofer it twice a week I think. He has been eating so much of it I think he was filling up on it.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
It sounds like he might be a little calcium deficient. If you're not comfortable leaving the cuttle bone you might try some high-calcium plants, like collard greens or opuntia cactus. (Plenty of other good choices out there as well.)

krh11b23

5 Year Member
I know that's how it sounds but I think he just loves it because I do feed high calcium foods.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
krh11b23 said:
I know that's how it sounds but I think he just loves it because I do feed high calcium foods.

They're generally pretty good at self selecting, if you refrain from "junk" foods. If you're worried though, I don't think there will be any problem leaving the cuttle bone out for a period of time.

Is there any reason your tortoise might have discomfort around or due to his beak? He could be trying to control it if it's overgrown/abnormal. I'd take a close look just to be safe, although it doesn't sound like this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.