Growth lines or something bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Tx
I noticed this on my torts recently. I was wondering if this was normal or if it were something that required a vet visit. They have grown very rapidly the past couple of months. Aug.10 they weighed in at132 and 167 grams. As of today they weigh 216 and 273 grams. I'm paranoid after reading about blood poisoning but hopeful it is just their growth. I increased mazuri from 3 feedings a week to offering it everyday with greens and weeds in August.

Thanks
Kristen

Attachments

• IMAG1616.jpg
    IMAG1616.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMAG1615.jpg
    IMAG1615.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 123

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I'm hoping someone knows also cuz my little guy has had the same thing for some time now. He seems very happy and is running around and eating so I haven't really thought much about it, but it would be nice to know what it is.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I remember there was a post where someones baby sulcata had an orange line like that and people said it was ok.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Looks okay, I dunno maybe put some neosporin on it once in a while where it's darkest, new growth is generally soft and maybe it's just getting a little irritated. I'm no expert but that does look a little more pink than I'd be comfortable with in the very middle there. I'm paranoid too though :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's the start of a bacterial infection. I find that happens with the Mazuri if you don't keep the cage clean and soak them after each Mazuri feeding. Ever notice the smell of Mazuri after a couple of hours? It gets pretty rank. Its ingredients support a lot of bacterial growth when its wet and warm (like in a tortoises home). They all walk and lay in their food and if you don't wash the Mazuri residue off of their plastron, THAT can happen. The "cure" is to clean the area where the Mazuri is fed every time and give them a good soaking after every Mazuri feeding to wash off the schmutz. Outside time in the dry sunshine will help clear it up faster too, but the main thing is to remove the bacteria's food.

They are growing so fast due to all that Mazuri. Just curious. Why did you switch to Mazuri every day? I find two or three times a week to be more than sufficient.

Kristen

5 Year Member
Houston, Tx
It took mine a while to take to the mazuri. Months and months. So when they finally took to it I began giving it to them as their morning feeding. I give 6 pellets.... 3 each. Then when it is gone give greens. My thoughts were instead of feeding them alot of a zuri 2 to 3 times a week give them a little every day. However I will probably be going back to the lesser feedings if it is causing problems. I had no idea mazuri could do that.... :(

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I feed Mazuri when I soak. I put them in a tub of warm water for 20-30 minutes, dump the water and offer Mazuri in the same tub. When they're done, I rinse the tub out and them off then soak them for another 20 minutes or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.