Genetic diversity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine

5 Year Member
For being less variable than a high color species, it never ceases to fascinate me that a clutch of Sulcatas from the same parents can all look so different. I wait with bated breath every time one hatches, you never know quite what you are going to get!
86d3c2f2.jpg
Does anyone have very dissimilar looking clutchmates? I would love to see them : )

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Cool looking sulcatas.

Not with sulcatas, but we do notice significant difference in appearance among the leopard and star siblings.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Oh yeah. Sometimes I wonder the same thing. Some are whitish tan and some look just like an adult color. I got first clutch going to crack literally any minute I will see the same as your photo. Just all around totally different looking. It's awesome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some of my clutches all look the same and others have some variability. Even from the same parents.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Katherine, has this female only been with one male? Since they can retain the sperm so long, I wonder if the offspring have different fathers. Any ideas on this?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
DesertGrandma said:
Katherine, has this female only been with one male? Since they can retain the sperm so long, I wonder if the offspring have different fathers. Any ideas on this?

My female has only been with the one male for her whole life she produces clutches in variety. But that is a good thought with other clutches from multi male groups.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Different fathers would definitely explain some of the diversity but this particular female has been with me her entire reproductive life and has been with one male exclusively. I like to always be sure who's eggs are who's (helps decide which ones to incubate and which ones to scramble).

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
katherine said:
Different fathers would definitely explain some of the diversity but this particular female has been with me her entire reproductive life and has been with one male exclusively. I like to always be sure who's eggs are who's (helps decide which ones to incubate and which ones to scramble).

LOL tasty!!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I really like the one that is the lightest and it looks the smallest. It is dead center and to the right of the one with the pink dot. :) I just want to see its cute face!

Katherine

5 Year Member
Blake m said:
I really like the one that is the lightest and it looks the smallest. It is dead center and to the right of the one with the pink dot. :) I just want to see its cute face!

I attempted to oblige you, but s/he did not share your enthusiasm nor did it seem thrilled to be woken up and then blinking it's eyes in the bright flash.... I am mean : /
286dbf1c.jpg

jason g.

5 Year Member
They are so cute!! The little one is adorable!! They all are. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.