Gastritis?!

chelslpn

I got my Russian Tortoise, Goku, in July. I got him from Petsmart... yeah, I know, not the best idea.. But I picked him BECAUSE he was the one eating ironically. Since then he has not eaten very much or gone to the bathroom very much.... I wasn't sure if he wasn't going to the bathroom because he wasn't eating or if he wasn't eating because he couldn't go to the bathroom... I tried to wait it out because people told me they're stubborn and you have to find food he likes.. make sure the temps are okay... it takes them time to get comfortable in their homes, etc. Plus, he drinks water whenever I soak him (which is often) and isn't lethargic in the least bit.

So today, I took him to his first vet appointment (since I've had him). They tried to get him to go to the bathroom with a probe to see if there were any blockages... didn't happen. The vet took an X-ray and was showing me different tortoise X-rays in a book... of a severely constipated or impacted tortoise.. slightly constipated.. one with a blockage... and one with gastritis. He has gastritis.... she gave me some meds... that she has to give him. I could go into more detail but..

Anyone else have this problem? Or have ever had it? Any advice? Please help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Lots of vets UNfamiliar with tortoises look in books........ and on the internet. Maybe you need a new vet. Maybe someone knows a sure fired food that a Russian can't resist. All I know is that I am starting to think that most vets that say that they deal in "exotics" are learning as they go. Just like the rest of us. I had a tortoise that would not eat and did not eat for about two weeks. Then one day, he decided to end the hunger strike. He's eaten ever since.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Lots of vets UNfamiliar with tortoises look in books........ and on the internet. Maybe you need a new vet. Maybe someone knows a sure fired food that a Russian can't resist. All I know is that I am starting to think that most vets that say that they deal in "exotics" are learning as they go. Just like the rest of us. I had a tortoise that would not eat and did not eat for about two weeks. Then one day, he decided to end the hunger strike. He's eaten ever since.
I'd rather have a vet check something in a book than guess. Eve a reptile vet may need to recheck something or look up symptoms.

I do agree with you though that the vet needs to have experience with torts.

chelslpn

I live in south Florida where I figured it would be pretty easy to find a vet to see him.. Think again lol no one sees tortoises and if they do they're "not taking anymore new patients" and I just keep getting blown off and referred to other people. She was great and very nice.. Even agreed to let me come to her house every night this next week for her to give him the medicine because it took 3 people to hold behind his head, hold him, and try to pry his mouth open. He's so sweet she couldn't even make him try to bite her (and open his mouth.) I'm just really upset because it's almost like trial and error.. If this doesn't work, then what? I want a definitive answer and not a guess. It's like.. You see so many people just buy a tortoise who do no research and don't even really care and throw them in a little tank.. And they're healthy and friendly. I really try to take care of him the best I can and keep up to date on what he should eat and the condition of his shell and not stressing him out.. And now he's sick and is still pretty scared around us months after j got him :( sorry this is so long, I just feel so bad

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
I live in south Florida where I figured it would be pretty easy to find a vet to see him.. Think again lol no one sees tortoises and if they do they're "not taking anymore new patients" and I just keep getting blown off and referred to other people. She was great and very nice.. Even agreed to let me come to her house every night this next week for her to give him the medicine because it took 3 people to hold behind his head, hold him, and try to pry his mouth open. He's so sweet she couldn't even make him try to bite her (and open his mouth.) I'm just really upset because it's almost like trial and error.. If this doesn't work, then what? I want a definitive answer and not a guess. It's like.. You see so many people just buy a tortoise who do no research and don't even really care and throw them in a little tank.. And they're healthy and friendly. I really try to take care of him the best I can and keep up to date on what he should eat and the condition of his shell and not stressing him out.. And now he's sick and is still pretty scared around us months after j got him :( sorry this is so long, I just feel so bad
Don't feel bad! You are doing all you can. I know it is hard when a family member isn't doing well, but try to stay positive. I am rooting for you!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So you are looking for a food, russians can't resist? Have you tried tortoise crack? A.K.A hibiscus flowers?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So what is the medication that you are to administer? Was the diagnosis simply done by deduction of reasoning based on some pics in a book?

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I live in So.Fl also. I feel for you. For many years I have been a
"Rabbit person" and a long time ago I could take them to a vet,
that also saw dogs & cats. But then about 15 yrs ago that
changed. Now a rabbit needs to go to the "exotic vet".
Not that a rabbit is exotic, most would consider it a farm
animal but its not a cat or dog.
On the other hand, I have some compassion for vet who treats any animal. Some times they are presented with animals who show
little symptoms & are expected results.
Good luck with your RT. I feel your frustration.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
For some easy favorites for Russians try dandelions and radicchio.

Pick your dandelions in a field thats not treated or fertilized; most of your better grocery stores will have radicchio.

Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How are you housing this tortoise?
What size enclosure?
What are your four temps? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over night low?
What equipment are you using to attain these conditions?

I have never seen a case of "gastritis" in a tortoise. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'm just saying that its not common, and from what you've told us it seems like a "best guess" on the part of a vet who might be sweet and have good intentions, but lacks in actual tortoise keeping experience.

Most issues are husbandry related, or in the case of an import like this, it could be harboring and succumbing to some intestinal nasties that hitched a ride from the homeland. These "nasties" are often very difficult to diagnose even with unconventional, seldom used tests.

It is also likely not eating because it is winter time, and every previous year in its life it has been buried underground and covered by a layer of snow this time of year. Frequently these problem eaters snap right of out this when spring time arrives.