Frog Moss question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
Happy Saturday to everyone!!

I was wondering if anyone knows if frog moss will grow, live or what ever it does on coconut coir?

Thanks! :D Mary Anne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've tried every moss and have found that frog moss has to be kept really wet and humid for it to thrive. Otherwise, it dries out and turns brown.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks Terry! Can you suggest a moss, I can grow with my CDT's? I know I don't need it, just thought it may be cool.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I really don't know anything about CDT's, but I use Irish Moss and Scottish moss for my boxies and for Pio when he was a hatchling. As long as there is good lighting, and some humidity it stayed nice and green.
Scan0028.jpg

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I have some frog moss that is thriving in an uncovered dish garden. My house is generally low-humidity, but I'm keeping the moss in a grouping with 3 ferns and a fountain, and it is staying moist and green. The wild mosses I gathered in the CO mountains are finer textured, deeper green, and tolerate lower humidity. Maybe you could try grabbing some wild mosses from your area?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Hmmm, Edna I could only wish.... I live in Bakersfield, everything here is brown :( The only thing that grows here where I live are almond orchards, dairy farms, cotton and carrots!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mmm. Carrot tops are good tortoise food.

Hey, I've driven through Bakersfeild. They have lots of good weeds growing there.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Yes we do!! I think I may have found some plantain growing at the school where I work, I need to take a picture of it to make sure!

I have given the herd radish tops, I will try carrot tops too! Thanks Tom!! Honk next time you drive thru!!

Status
Not open for further replies.