Fred's soon to be new home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystal2658

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hersey, MI
Here is the box we built for Fred this week. Interior is 2.5' x 4' x 18" high. The inside is completely covered in RSP. (?...The plastic stuff..lol) We are going to put wheels on the bottom and still need to construct the top which will consist of 3 separate doors. We were thinking of doing plexi-glass on 2 openings & putting a screen door on one of the ends (or just leaving open). The 3 openings are approx 2.5' x 13". Even after adding the frame to each door, will this be too big of an opening for screening/ventilation?

100_2405.JPG

I bought temperature and humidity dial gauges that are connected together. Where would you suggest putting these in the box. How high/low and which end/center? Also, what do you suggest I run the humidity at? I know they like alot, just not quite sure on a number.

We are also having the problem of Fred trying to climb his hide which is a plastic flower pot I cut in half. The problem is is that every time he does this he tips over. How long can they safely stay on their backs before being righted. He tries and tries but has yet to succeed. It could be just the plastic tote he is in right now, or the poor thing just doesn't have it in him. This is also how I have come to the conclusion that HE is definitely a male. His tail is huge! (and very ugly) Not what I thought a tail would look like at all. My hubby wanted to put a second level at one end, but I'm afraid for Fred. He has it made but I'm not sure it's safe to put in there.

I think my last thing is, is what to use for a substrate if I want to add real plants. Right now we have the coconut fiber. I believe I can just mix in some plain potting/top soil (with the fiber). Putting some earth worms in there would be awesome if they would populate. If it is done this way how often does it need to be changed? Or does everything take care of itself, because of the worms & plants being in there? This is going to be his permanent home since we are here in upper Michigan. It is also in our Family Room. I believe this to be a permanent fixture there. The windows you see behind it are North facing. So the light shouldn't be too much for him. I told my husband after it was completed that we could get rid of the kitchen table & use that instead with some short chairs. LOL

Oh! What would be the best plants to buy and put in there? I figured around 6 or so scattered about with some reinforcement so he can't totally destroy them. Will probably be doing my shopping at Walmart or Meijers also.

Sorry for the length, but I was trying to get it all out so there's not too many posts. I appreciate all your guys help and can't wait to get this completed and set up.

Last edited by a moderator:

crystal2658

5 Year Member
Hersey, MI
Thanks for some plants Laura!

Here is his home set up for now. Need to get him a better hide, but that's it for now.
100_2406.JPG

Coming out of his warm soak.
100_2407.JPG

And he's at it again. This time he made it all the way over! Not sure if he was trying to stay up there or not. He's a gluten for punishment. I'm sure I'll find him upside down again tomorrow. It's been a daily ordeal.
100_2430.JPG
100_2432.JPG

Here he is just wandering.
100_2437.JPG

And the last one is him staring at me through the plexi. I was right in front of him about a foot. Surprisingly he was fine with it. Must be getting used to us.
100_2441.JPG

By the way how do you add pics so they are full size on the post instead of these little thumbs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Get a photobucket account, it's free. Then you make albums on photobucket and upload your pics there. It's an extra step, but once you have your photos in you album, there will be a place where it shows the URL for each photo, and if you click on it one time, the text changes to 'copied'. Then when you when you are ready to post that photo in your TFO thread you just paste, and it's resized and ready to go. Preview your post just to make sure it all worked right. Hope that helps!

Your enclosure looks very nice! Favorite plants for my enclosures: Boston fern 'Compacta' and Christmas cactus. Both edible and beautiful, I keep them in pots so the plants have a chance and only get nibbled on from time to time. Also, ponytail palm and dracaena (several varieties). Beautiful, not edible, and the torts don't bother them. If you want to grow some grasses or other seeds as groundcover or graze in your enclosure, you can plant directly in your coconut coir. It makes a nice planting medium.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
The enclosure looks nice, I don't think he minds the hide, since he like to climb over it...

crystal2658

5 Year Member
Hersey, MI
Edna said:
Get a photobucket account, it's free. Then you make albums on photobucket and upload your pics there. It's an extra step, but once you have your photos in you album, there will be a place where it shows the URL for each photo, and if you click on it one time, the text changes to 'copied'. Then when you when you are ready to post that photo in your TFO thread you just paste, and it's resized and ready to go. Preview your post just to make sure it all worked right. Hope that helps!

Your enclosure looks very nice! Favorite plants for my enclosures: Boston fern 'Compacta' and Christmas cactus. Both edible and beautiful, I keep them in pots so the plants have a chance and only get nibbled on from time to time. Also, ponytail palm and dracaena (several varieties). Beautiful, not edible, and the torts don't bother them. If you want to grow some grasses or other seeds as groundcover or graze in your enclosure, you can plant directly in your coconut coir. It makes a nice planting medium.

Thanks for all the info Edna. I'm making a plant list to take to the store and will add these to it.

I think I'm going to put some small rocks on the sides of his hide and pile it with substrate so it's like a small hill for him to climb. Will have to do that tomorrow & hopefully he'll stop tipping over on it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First off, I want to say Awesome enclosure!That is very very nice. I am just amazed at the talent in this group.:D

crystal2658 said:
Here is the box we built for Fred this week. Interior is 2.5' x 4' x 18" high. The inside is completely covered in RSP. (?...The plastic stuff..lol) We are going to put wheels on the bottom and still need to construct the top which will consist of 3 separate doors. We were thinking of doing plexi-glass on 2 openings & putting a screen door on one of the ends (or just leaving open). The 3 openings are approx 2.5' x 13". Even after adding the frame to each door, will this be too big of an opening for screening/ventilation?

I don't think there is such a thing as too big an opening. I would go with it on an end and then have the other end for keeping the humidity higher.

I bought temperature and humidity dial gauges that are connected together. Where would you suggest putting these in the box. How high/low and which end/center? Also, what do you suggest I run the humidity at? I know they like alot, just not quite sure on a number.

I would suggest actually also buying a hand held scanner to check temps, as those dial ones are not always accurate and use it in addition to the ones you already have.

We are also having the problem of Fred trying to climb his hide which is a plastic flower pot I cut in half. The problem is is that every time he does this he tips over. How long can they safely stay on their backs before being righted. He tries and tries but has yet to succeed. It could be just the plastic tote he is in right now, or the poor thing just doesn't have it in him. This is also how I have come to the conclusion that HE is definitely a male. His tail is huge! (and very ugly) Not what I thought a tail would look like at all. My hubby wanted to put a second level at one end, but I'm afraid for Fred. He has it made but I'm not sure it's safe to put in there.

The time they can be on their backs varies depending if the animal for example is under a heat source/light or in water. Does he tip over because he can't grip the plastic pot? None of mine try climbing the plastic pots, but they do move them all over. :(:rolleyes: I like when tortoise size allows to use the half wood logs. Those do get quite a bit of climbing done on them. It helps if there is something they can use for leverage to get back up. Perhaps putting a few rocks next to the hide would work. You could try the second story. Does it have a railing to keep him from falling off?

I think my last thing is, is what to use for a substrate if I want to add real plants. Right now we have the coconut fiber. I believe I can just mix in some plain potting/top soil (with the fiber). Putting some earth worms in there would be awesome if they would populate. If it is done this way how often does it need to be changed? Or does everything take care of itself, because of the worms & plants being in there?

I have no trouble with plants in the coir/sand combo I use. You may want to leave them in their pots and even have them above him a bit, to keep down the amount of trampling them he may do other wise.

Ideally with the biosubstrate you never need to clean it as the bugs/worms take care of the waste and spilled food, with you just removing major amounts. If you go that way, I think it would also help if you put in some old tree leaves (leaf mold some folks call it).Madkins (Mark) has some threads on it and I would suggest you to look them up.

Oh! What would be the best plants to buy and put in there? I figured around 6 or so scattered about with some reinforcement so he can't totally destroy them. Will probably be doing my shopping at Walmart or Meijers also.

Pansies, hosta, philodendron, airplane plant (spider plant) are some of my old standbys. With the height you have maybe even some althea or tropical hibiscus.

crystal2658

5 Year Member
Hersey, MI
Jacqui - Thanks for all your info. My hubby just mentioned yesterday about buying a temp. gun. Thanks for the plants too. I love hostas! They are around the whole north & east side of our house. I even have some minis that would be perfect.

I'm noticing that in the new home the humidity is only at about 45%. It was a lot higher in his small plastic tote. Will have to figure out something.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think they like less light and more forest type.;... but I couldnt be wrong..
can you bury the pot more and pile more dirt up over it? maybe he wont fall off...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What are your temps?

I would suggest on the humid side having a pile of old leaves and either those or some long fibered sphagnum moss in the pot. Are you spraying the enclosure and tortoise down?

crystal2658

5 Year Member
Hersey, MI
Jacqui said:
What are your temps?

I would suggest on the humid side having a pile of old leaves and either those or some long fibered sphagnum moss in the pot. Are you spraying the enclosure and tortoise down?

The temp is between 80 & 85 right now. I just put his substrate in there tonight & it was pretty wet. We mist everything down really good every day. If it's still low in the morning I'll close off the top some more after spraying it down. Maybe it'll get better after we have completed building the doors with the plexi glass in them. Right now I just have some tote lids covering 2 of the holes. Also getting some plants in it should help maybe. Hoping to get some tomorrow night.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Watch those temps, your reaching the upper limits of comfortable with them. Are you turning the heat down at night?

crystal2658

5 Year Member
Hersey, MI
Jacqui said:
Watch those temps, your reaching the upper limits of comfortable with them. Are you turning the heat down at night?

Yes, we turn it down at night. He also seems to like the temp. We had it lower & he hung out under the light. Now that the temp is up he roams around more, plus he'll still go lay out under the heat lamp at times. Thats where he fell asleep last night. I turned it down a little before going to bed and he was still in the same spot when I got up this morning. I turned his heat lamp up and the UVB on and within 2 minutes he was up wandering around again.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Very nice! the first pictures you posted don't do it justice. Once I saw it all setup it caught my eye.

Great job!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I was telling somebody else just now, something I also need to share with you. I don't know about anybody else, but with my hingebacks I get a lot of individual wants/needs variations. You really need to get in the ballpark of "normal" ranges generalities and then fine tune to what your animal wants/needs.

For example I have some whom never come out much (except mainly to eat) before retreating back into their hides until either early am or late pm. Then there are those whom you will see out basking away on top of their hides. I have some that run to see me, whenever I go near them and a few who if I want to see them, I have to look in their hides. I can't think of one single thing all my hingebacks agree on. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.