Food supplier

Mr. Doortoise

Hello. I'm new and I'm sorry if there is already a thread regarding this. If so please tell me. I'm wondering if there are any good tortoise food suppliers. Thanks!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
LL reptile ,Carolina pet supply , Sulcata food .com and many more .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No problem ! Also check out the tortoisetable/UK. Tells you good weeds to feed and other plants that's better to feed than store bought stuff . Plus's it's free !

Mr. Doortoise

Do the stores you listed above only sell Commercial foods because I want to give my tort fresh plants but I'm afraid if I just find some in my yard they might not be healthy.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
The tortoise table website is a site that lists tortoise safe plants. The others that were listed sell seed packets that are specific for certain types of tortoises. Such as grazing tortoises or tortoises that eat broadleaf weed's. Grocery store greens are not evil, they can be fed as part of a varied diet. Tortoise supply.com also sells seed mixes etc.

Mr. Doortoise

The forest tortoise seed mix from sulcata food.com seems to have a lot of grasses. Is that good for hermann's?

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Grasses work for Hermanns sparingly, but they are by no means appropriate as a staple. Look for a Mediterranean mix that has a lot of braodleaf weeds. Plantain, dandelion, milk thistle, sow thistle, mallow, and clovers should form the bulk of the diet. Also, supplement the diet with mulberry leaves, grape leaves, and hibiscus leaves, as these plants are common and can be found in most any organic nursery.

T.G.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
My Hermann love plantains (the weed-not the banana like thing) and dandelion. They love weeds!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The very best food supplier is you. You find a place where you can cut clean weeds and broad-leaf plants and supply them to your tortoise. When you can't find clean, edible weeds and plants, you buy greens at the store. I only use manufactured tortoise food once a week, and I use Mazuri Tortoise Diet.

There is a company that will ship greens to you. Very fresh, and good greens, but expensive. I can't think of their name right now, but I'll keep working on it.

FujiBaird

I bought and planted some of the Carolina Pet Supply mix and found that it had more grass in it than my Hermann's would want to eat, and I didn't have the greatest customer service experience. Another member here recommended groworganic.com as a source of seeds. They have a good variety of tortoise-safe plants (clover, plantain, dandelion, radicchio, endive, viola, etc.) including various mixes. That way I can easily plant more of what my tortoise likes or what grows well.

You can also gather seeds from weeds and plant them in your yard or in seed trays. Lots of cats ear is currently flowering in my neighbors' yards, so I grabbed some of the seeds to grow. That way you know they will not have been treated with pesticides or other tortoise poisons.