Fish tank top and concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I thinking about using a normal ten gallon fish tank top for a light for my tortoise, the light is 26W 10.0 Repti Glo. Is this a good idea... any concern? OR should I get a terrarium hood things?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If that light is a coiled bulb, I wouldn't use it. They have been known to cause blindness in young tortoises and lizards.

I would much rather use a mercury vapor bulb (mvb) because it provides the heat the tortoise needs along with the UVB they require.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
emysemys said:
If that light is a coiled bulb, I wouldn't use it. They have been known to cause blindness in young tortoises and lizards.

I would much rather use a mercury vapor bulb (mvb) because it provides the heat the tortoise needs along with the UVB they require.

REALLY!!!! I paid $ 20 buck for something that could turn my animal( which I haven't gotten yet) blind!

I've already got a CHE for the heat, so is they any safe light for tank setting?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Lilithlee said:
emysemys said:

REALLY!!!! I paid $ 20 buck for something that could turn my animal( which I haven't gotten yet) blind!

I've already got a CHE for the heat, so is they any safe light for tank setting?
I would get a Mercury vapor bulb. I have the zoomed one. your tortoise needs either a good quality Mercury vapor bulb or needs to have outside time avaiable.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
SulcataSquirt said:
Lilithlee said:
emysemys said:

I would get a Mercury vapor bulb. I have the zoomed one. your tortoise needs either a good quality Mercury vapor bulb or needs to have outside time avaiable.

My Russian that I have now has both. Mercury light(sunpower) plus two hours of sunlight( if not more.). The new tortoise I will be getting will have the same. what I was trying to figure out was there any safe way to use my tank light, if not oh well. But I've seen people use tank-like setting,so, I'm wondering why they use.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Lilithlee, I am now confused? I thought your inquiry was to the type of "fixture" not the light itself....I apologize and retract my prior info :rolleyes: ....I now think you are referring to a type of "bulb".... I have to say that I would not constantly use a coil bulb for their uv rays..... I don't have a fav, as the tortoise I keep stay out all tortoise season here in southern cali and are going to be in their sleeping boxes winter time....

So, maybe if you wait a bit you find out what all the others use that house indoors and use the artificial rays :D

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
ascott said:
Lilithlee, I am now confused? I thought your inquiry was to the type of "fixture" not the light itself....I apologize and retract my prior info :rolleyes: ....I now think you are referring to a type of "bulb".... I have to say that I would not constantly use a coil bulb for their uv rays..... I don't have a fav, as the tortoise I keep stay out all tortoise season here in southern cali and are going to be in their sleeping boxes winter time....

So, maybe if you wait a bit you find out what all the others use that house indoors and use the artificial rays :D

Don't be confused. I was only inquiring about the type of light fixture. That was until emysemys say that coiled bulb were BAD, which is the type I have, and I changed the question.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
ascott said:
Oh...okay then....did you decide what you are going to do? :cool:

The tank top idea went out the window.

I returned the other light, got a solar glo 125w exo Terra heat and UBV all in one. Luckily, I didn't need to buy another lamp since I had extra that was big enough for that size. Now all I need to do is get another lamp stand...

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
ascott said:
very good...sounds like you have it all hammered out :D

Well, I'm on my way at least!!! Thanks for all your help... and everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.