Female Russian Tortoise digging everywhere and won’t stop.

Braeden p

Location (City and/or State)
Pottstown PA
Hello just wondering why she is doing that. I let her run around my house but all she did would go in corners and try to dig, could she possibly be trying to lay eggs?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russian tortoises are diggers. Its what they do. They usually do it to avoid heat or cold, or to feel secure. I'm guessing its that last one in your case.

They will also do it when you let them roam and then put them back into a tiny tank. Your tank is far too small.

She should never be loose on the floor. Its not safe and it can't be made safe. Leave the tortoise in its enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One mistake a lot of folks make is allowing their tortoise to realize there's more to the world than what's inside the walls of their enclosure. Once they're allowed out of the enclosure, they're never happy to stay inside it anymore.

Get her a bigger enclosure or make a safe and secure outdoor enclosure. You'd be surprised what a happy tortoise you have once she's allowed to live outside.

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
One mistake a lot of folks make is allowing their tortoise to realize there's more to the world than what's inside the walls of their enclosure. Once they're allowed out of the enclosure, they're never happy to stay inside it anymore.

Get her a bigger enclosure or make a safe and secure outdoor enclosure. You'd be surprised what a happy tortoise you have once she's allowed to live outside.
I’m starting to build a 6’ by 3’ enclosure for Betty’s today.