Feeding when outside?

packfan13

When my tortoise is big enough to be outside full time and has full access to grass, do I still feed him? If I do how often is it, like once a week? What kind of foods would I give him that he won't be getting from grass? Also what kind of plants are popular to plant for him to eat as well? and any other information related to the subject is appreciated as well. Thanks for any help.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I still feed mine and he has plenty of weeds and grass to eat on. There are foods that I don't have in my yard that are good for him to have in his diet. One of these is mulberry leaves. Of course it is seasonal, but when there are leaves on the trees I will cut some and drop a pile of them in his pen. I might do this two or three times a week. Opuntia cactus pads are another such food. I have them growing around my yard, just not so my tortoise has unlimited access to them. I don't have much hibiscus in my yard where my tortoise can get to it. He has eaten all of it he can reach so I cut hibiscus leaves and flowers to feed to him. Sometimes I will feed him Mazuri with chopped up hay. He won't hay otherwise. The Mazuri, I feel, helps to provide nutritional needs that the other foods might not supply.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Of course you still do/can. That is one reason why we suggest addibg hay to the diet. cactus, mullberry,grape leavs, lots of options.

packfan13

Of course you still do/can. That is one reason why we suggest addibg hay to the diet. cactus, mullberry,grape leavs, lots of options.
But what kind of feeding schedule do I do once he's outside. Obviously he's going to be eating a ton of grass, do I feed him other stuff once a week? Do I still do a feeding everyday? Do I just give him things when i come across them as treats? I like to get things into a routine, so is there a routine that people usually have for feeding outdoor sulcatas? Thanks

argus333

5 Year Member
i do but just 2 days a week. i just let them mow. everyday all day. it really depends how much grass u have them for them to eat.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That's the stage I'm in now :) I love it....throw the schedule out the window and be stress free. ;)

Some days I feed a pile of food...some days I don't. I might feed everyday for a month straight....Then skip a week.. some meals might be Mazuri, some might be weeds or plants I collect from grandma's (chemical free) some feedings might be store bought greens or lettuce that's about to wilt (offer it to him vs. throwing it away)

Because he's got the grass and weeds to graze on, I know that he'll be fine. Take it one day at time and trust me....This is such a fun time frame of tortoise ownership. I couldn't wait to get here!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Oh and let me add this.....it's an awesome sight when you see your tortoise walk over a pile of spring mix to graze on the lawn instead :cool: :tort:

that's MONSTRO...and IT-2! They will bypass any extras for the lawn! At 9 months, IT-2 will still not touch Mazuri...although he has recently taken a shine to another protein source! Forget the schedule! You can feed EVERYDAY if you want...or you can feed weekly...it's all good!