Eucalytpus mulch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
I have a Russian (3 years) and a sulcata (about 1 yr) in am outdoor pen about 14ft by 12ft. I was wondering if eucalyptus mulch is safe to use as a substrate both in the outdoor part of the pen and in the deck box where the UVA UVB an heat lamp are...anyone with information on the effects of ingestion and inhalation of eucalyptus mulch/fumes would be appreciated. I live in central Florida if that helps

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't use it as a substrate. I hang eucalyptus branches in my aviary to repel mites, etc. but its so pungent, it might be annoying to a tortoise to have to live on it.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
Thank you. I wound up running to Lowe's this morning and bought organic cypress mulch....laid it down in the deck box and out in the pen as well... Thanks for your reply

ckromulus

5 Year Member
Sully not very active today

Have only had him about a week so I'm sure I'm a paranoid parent but just figured I'd see what you all have to say. I'll start with my set up.

Outdoor
14ft by 12ft
Substrate: cypress mulch
Hide: 3ft by 3ft by 2ft deck box with 75W basking lamp at 12inches (92 degrees F at ground) with cypress mulch substrate
Outside temp: 78

Ok so he is usually out by 10 am but he wasn't so I took him and my Russian out and layer out a combo of chicory, dandelion, kale, and parsley ( growing grasses that are native to his natural habitat) put him in the water dish he sat for a few, ate and the returned right back to the hide...thought it odd and took him back out but he walked right back over and in. I know this does not sound overly odd but he usually cruises around all day long. Am I doing something wrong? Other than the sub-perfect diet that I am working to fix... He doesn't bubble at the nose or mouth breathe...have not taken him to vet yet but got him through the family owned reptile store from a guy in the area that has a great setup and takes good care of his torts...what do you all think. Also any suggestions sulcata specific would be appreciated as I am new to them but not Russians...also should i put UVA and UVB bulbs in the hide also even though he is outside... He also has a shaded hide with no lamps that is cave like made out of untreated fire wood...it's not pine or anything like thAt but gives him some shade as needed...thanks in advance

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you are keeping them together, chances are one or the other has made the other one sick. Species of tortoise that have no chance of ever meeting up in the wild should not be put together in captivity. And Russian tortoises are usually wild caught, and they come into this country very dirty - full of parasites.

You don't need a light outside. The sun will do just fine. Now, if you feel its too cool inside the house, you can just use an ordinary light bulb, or a ceramic heat emitter.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Its Best if Kept Separate, One Might Bully The other To Death, They Always Carry Different Sickness

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also would not use Eucalyptus mulch, and I also recommend separating the species.

ckromulus

5 Year Member
Separated them...thank you all for the responses. He seems fine now, he's eating and drinking but still likes the deck box although I did catch him going for a stroll or two yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.