He hatched with a little broken tail.
IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
Does he appear healthy? He only seems to eat Retomin. Ive raised two turtles on it alone. But no land turtles.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ryanseiler said:
Does he appear healthy? He only seems to eat Retomin. Ive raised two turtles on it alone. But no land turtles.

If you are asking me, I first have to say I don't keep turtles and am going solely by other hatchling photos of the same species, but yes - he appears healthy to me. It will be interesting to see what experienced keepers observe from your photos. Congratulations on an adorable baby.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
I know you can use eye color to determine sex. Anyone know what gender Eli is?

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
Males tend to have red eyes, but I'm not sure how old they have to be to start turning that color.

My Eastern still won't touch Reptomin. I've had him for a week now and all he's been willing to eat eat is a piece of boiled chicken, a piece of shrimp, and waxworms. He wouldn't touch canned mealworms or reptomin.

Babies are pretty much carnivores, so a protein-rich diet is what they need. You may want to try some kind of live worm (blackworm/redworm/nightcrawler/superworm/waxworm/etcetc) to see if he'll eat those.

Here's my little guy having dinner this evening:

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
So is Eli a ridgeback turtle? And may be Elli soon? He/She sure is tiny and adorable!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It's way too early to determine any sex. Eli looks like he is going to be full of color though. My lil Eastern that Yvonne gave me is still eating Retomin, besides all her other stuff, and she is over a year old. I put all different kinds of food, live bugs, veggies, fruit, but she will go for the retomin first and when that's finished she will start on the other stuff. I know lots of breeders that start their hatchlings off with retomin and that is fine.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nothing to say just testing out my new avatar.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I guess you really can't. They change so much as they get older. But...her shell is so colorful now...if I'm seeing the right colors in that picture....and it's really just my thoughts. I have seen some hatchlings that had no color and as they got older their head and neck became very colorful, but their shell never got too much color. My Three Toed was like that. I have seen so many beautiful Easterns and she looks like she has a lot of patterns to her shell. Hope I'm right. I think she is really beautiful for such a little bitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.