eggs getting ready to hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkibop

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi, our tortoise laid eggs (six altogether so far) and we think one of the first ones is getting ready to hatch. The shell is starting to discolor and looks like we see something kind of pinkish. So we want to be ready with everything we need to do. So can you tell us what we shoud do? They are in an incubator right now so at what point should we take them out? And how soon do we start to feed them? We are going to keep them in a different enclosure than what the adult tortoises are in until they get bigger, so what should the temperature be at and do they need humidity? And anything else we should know?
Thanks!
Deanna
:)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Deanna,
How old are your eggs? Some eggs do go dark before they hatch, but never pink. What temperature are you incubating at? If you could take a picture of your eggs that would help to find out whats going on. :D

Danny

nikkibop

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The first eggs are 7 weeks and 4 days old. I guess I said it wrong. The shell is darkening but it seems like you can see something pinkish through the shell. We keep the temp around 86 degrees. It fluctuates a little sometimes. And we keep humidity around 70. I have attached some photos of the eggs. The one we are talking about is on the top row, the one in the middle.
Thanks,
Deanna

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your eggs aren't old enough to start hatching. 53 days is very early, most of my Middle Eastern greek eggs take 70 to 75 days to hatch.
You didn't say it wrong :D just that I didn't make it clear that you shouldn't be seeing anything pink in a fertile egg thats about to hatch. That would tell me that your eggs aren't fertile if your seeing pink. :(

Danny

nikkibop

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, is it normal for any discoloration at all to be happening at this time? Did the pictures come through that I attached? If so, could you tell anything by them?
Thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Nikkibop if you posted the pic they didn't come through. If you are having trouble try the help section there is a nice post from Just Anja explaining how to post pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.