Egg crate for 2nd level?

Erisna

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Yesterday I knocked together an egg crate basking platform for my friend’s slider turtle just for kicks and giggles, and was amazed at how easy it was to make- done in like 20 minutes, in a small apartment with no power tools and minimal mess.

So I was wondering, is there any reason I shouldn’t/couldn’t use egg crate on a pvc pipe base to make a second level for a Russian’s future tortoise table? We only have a 6x3 footprint available without breaking down walls or breaking fire codes, which shockingly my bosses aren’t willing to allow. ? I’d like to give her a second level for more floor space/enrichment but the awesome coworker who’s making her table is super busy with other necessary projects, so I don’t want to make the part he has to make out of wood any more complicated than it needs to be. If I could make a simple second level myself and save him the trouble I think it would be worth it.

Thoughts or experiences?

Erisna

Florida
I’m gonna gently boop this back to the top, if no one has any thoughts on it I guess I get to ~experiment~.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I’m interested in knowing more about this. I’m not really sure I know what you mean by egg crate. Do you have a picture of what you made for the aquatic turtle? For the tortoise, how would she get up to the 2nd floor and what barrier would you have around it to prevent her from jumping/falling off?

Erisna

Florida
Yes, I’m talking about the plastic egg crate, thanks Chubbs! A lot of turtle people use it for basking platforms; one of the ways to do it is make a PVC pipe base and zip tie the egg crate to it. If you google “egg crate turtle platform” you should be able to find a lot of examples to get a better mental picture. (Sorry, I didn’t take any pics of my friend’s turtle- silly me!)

It’s easy enough to make a ramp out of the same material (I did it for my friends turtle) and to prevent falling... I’m still thinking about that. I could theoretically make walls out of the egg crate also, but we have an active Russian and I’m pretty sure she could climb that. I’m not planning on making it very high but I’d rather not take the risk of her flipping herself by being too adventurous lol.

I know it would probably be simpler with wood, but I don’t have a woodworking space or tools. The egg crate is something I can work with in my apartment. :)

Last edited: