Eastern Box Turtle -- M/F Behavior Differences..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheloniac

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greensboro, NC, US
I'm adopting one to two box turtles tomorrow from a reptile rescue, and I have the option of one male or two females. I have trying to learn if there are any distinct personality traits between the two sexes. Everything I have searched so far just explains how to sex them, but I'm more interested in if there are any behavioral, temperamental or personality differences between males and females. Thanks!! :tort:

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
For what its worth, my experience is a lone male is just as mellow and potentially social as a female. Two females are great together. A male with females is a pain in the rear! Males are so focused on mating they harass the females to no end.

My personal option is go with a gal. That way if you decide to get another one some day you can get another gal easily and not have behavior issues.

Hope that helps!

cheloniac

5 Year Member
Greensboro, NC, US
Thanks a lot!! A definite help! Since I found no search results regarding this, I figured it doesn't matter much, but wanted to be sure. Thanks!! :tort:

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
My experience has been males are very pretty and females can to be a bit more inquisitive. Although it depends on the individual.
I have one female who is a turtle genius, she would constantly pace the outdoor enclosure until she found the Hosta and use it to climb the wall. Once she got outside she found me a few days later, so I could put her back. I was looking for her on my hands and knees pulling up weeds. When I turned around with a handful of weeds she was just standing next to my knee staring at me.

I had one male that would only chase females to the point of never eating. I had another male who would sit in the food dish and never wanted to leave.

I've kept box turtles off and on for 25 years. I used to temporary foster them for some friends.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Tis a true statement. Why can't you have all 3? 2 females and 1 male is a very good ratio.

yagyujubei said:
Why don't you just get all three? They should do well together.

Tis a true statement. Why can't you have all 3? 2 females and 1 male is a very good ratio.

cheloniac

5 Year Member
Greensboro, NC, US
They said if I got the male as well, he would obsess over mating with the 2 females. I ended up with the 2 females. One of them is still being named and the other is Blaze. Also still working out all the kinks in their temporary setup until I can get them a nice tortoise box.

Attachments

• IMG_4054.png
    IMG_4054.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Status
Not open for further replies.