Dry skin on my sulcatas heads, 5 months old

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupcake:)

5 Year Member
I got 2 baby sulcatas about a week ago. They are 5 months old and are active have been eating well and seem very healthy. The lady I got them from said they needed a dry climate and suggested I keep them in a aquarium and soak them once a week. When I got them home and started reading I found a lot of conflicting info on humidity, soaking etc. I started soaking them each day for 15 minutes as soon as I got them because I didn't want them to get dehydrated but them seem to have dry skin on their faces. I love my new babies and they are my first tortoises so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi cupcake:) and welcome to the Forum!

Did you read all the stickys at the top of the Sulcata section? There are a couple that address the keeping of baby sulcatas and are well worth your attention.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
READ READ and do more READING! Glad you found us and welcome. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. The dry skin is probably nothing to worry about. I would not put any lotion or cream on his skin. As you have found out already, there is a lot of conflicting info on the care of sulcata. I believe most of it is because babies need to be cared for differently than adults. Very few babies are ever observed in the wild, and therefore not much is known about their habitat. What the members here have learned is discussed in the stickys that Yvonne mentioned. Well worth your time to read and re-read these threads. Once you have a handle on your baby's environment/diet needs the dry skin problem may also be solved.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...below my. Signature there are threads on raising sulcatas i would highly suggest reading..

Status
Not open for further replies.