Dont really know what to think

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
So I got an adult Leopard tort almost two months ago. When she came to me she was on a diet with quite a bit a fruit in it. The previous owner said she was very regular and pooped every day. She didn't poop for the first week I had her and I started becoming concerned. I got on here frequently looking for natural laxatives for her. She would go when I took her for a ride in the car or when I gave her these foods that made her go but never any other time. Could she have a blockage even though she goes when I give her these natural laxatives? I read a post last night in one of the other species specific about using a small amount of mineral oil to see if anything passes. I did this last night and twelve hours later I got a small pile. She is a ten pound tort and I always expect more poop then what comes out. She eats every day but not alot. It's almost like she gets bored of the food and just chooses to sleep instead. She never really grazes when she goes outside and I try to vary her diet. She might be still adjusting to no fruit in her diet. I just dont really know what to think. Is a vet visit in order?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jessica - I would think a vet visit is in order if you haven't done one yet. The only way to know for sure about a blockage that I am aware of is with an xray.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a couple of leopard tortoises, and they don't always poop every day, but when they DO poop, its a nice big pile of droppings. However, my leopards only eat grass and weeds. I don't feed them at all.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

I am on an African tort list and all the Leopard keepers say that Leopards poop less then any other species...so that's all the info I have for you. It seems to me that if only a little goes in, only a little comes out. I am thinking this tort eats and poops just a little. Be grateful for that, you sure don't want to be picking up a Bob pile daily...I think your tortoise is fine...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Remember just beause someone told you it pooped everyday does not make it so, people have been known to lie, I know it's true.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have an 8 pound leopard and she does not poop often, especially if she hasn't been grazing much. When grazing, she'll go twice a week, but now it is down to once a week because she's inside now. It may have been the change of environment that made your poop in the car, because mine have done that also. Try getting yours on a good diet and see if something happens in a week. Make sure it is getting water also.

Good luck!

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Thank you every one for all your comments. I just know that sometimes you dont know anything is wrong until its too late so I always keep a close eye on her. I have completely changed her diet and she's on the right track now, so I hope everything follows suit. Thank you

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Make sure she is warm enough to digest her food.
Also 'disect' the poop and see if there is anything out of the ordinary.. sand, hair etc.
One of my sulcata rescue..his poops were runny and full of hair. He was allowed to roam the house and eat the cats food!

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I'm a new leopard owner as of this past summer, taking
on a 3 year old, so not really too experienced but.........
This is what ours does, defecating once or twice a week but I do
notice if she gets cooler she'll go quite a few days between bowel movements.
My advice would be if you've covered all the angles and you are still
concerned a vet visit is probably in order.
Only you can make that decision and it will be the right one.
Good luck and aren't these creatures incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.