Dofferent barks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Orchid bark IS fir bark. I know nothing about cholla.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Thanks you guys save me a trip back to the pet store to take it back my T5 high output light came in today can't wait I'm so excited what is the maximum distance and recommended distance as well for the T5 light

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the bark. I like the two hiding places. I like that you have sunk the waterer down into the bark, however, I don't like those reptile bowls. The straight up and down sides are hard for a baby tortoise to climb out of without over balancing and ending up on his back in the water. A sloping sided clay plant saucer sunk down into the substrate works much better. Also, the smooth feeding rock won't help to keep the beak trimmed. Something with a rough surface would work better. . . like a piece of broken cement or such. You're obviously giving this a lot of thought. Good job!

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I like the bark. I like the two hiding places. I like that you have sunk the waterer down into the bark, however, I don't like those reptile bowls. The straight up and down sides are hard for a baby tortoise to climb out of without over balancing and ending up on his back in the water. A sloping sided clay plant saucer sunk down into the substrate works much better. Also, the smooth feeding rock won't help to keep the beak trimmed. Something with a rough surface would work better. . . like a piece of broken cement or such. You're obviously giving this a lot of thought. Good job!
okay I'll change the bowl but it's only 1/2 inch deep that's why I got that one cuz it was so low but I'm sure I can find a saucer with a smooth angle...and I'll be sure and move the gauges down.... do you use a night light or heat panels what do you recommend the night-light I have now keeps it at 80 at the cool end and 86 at the hot end and my hot light keeps it at 90 at the hot end in about 82 at the cool end

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
My night light bulb mostly maintained 80 degrees at the cool end all night it dip down to 78 this morning when I checked it so actually I was thinking of just moving it to the center of the enclosure so it could distribute the temperature better instead of trying to get it all the way down from one end to the other I'll try that tonight