Does your star not like bright light... and temp question

britsip

Location (City and/or State)
Reno, NV
I recieved my Sri Lankan Star tortoise almost a week ago and am smitten. But I need a little help clarifying some lighting and temperature/humidity questions for a 3 year old, 4 inch Sri Lankan Star.

1) Have any of you noticed whether or not your Star seems to be bothered by bright lighting? Mine seems to dislike bright lights and will only become active when it's darker.

Cage has reptisun 10.0 tube and flood light.

2) What should my night temperature be set at? I have an 80w RBI radiant heat panel on a herpstat set to 78°f at night.

3) What humidity level should I aim for? I find hatchling information easily, but not juvenile. His humidity right now ranges from 60-80% with ambient temps in 80° range.

Lastly, obligatory pics!

Attachments

• 1470619346602.jpg
    1470619346602.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 1470619419577.jpg
    1470619419577.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 34

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
1.From my experience they don't like very bright lights. The tube might be too much light for him.

2.night temps are good I don't let it drop below 75-78F for adults.

3. 60-80% humidity is what I am for year round with adults and hatchlings.

britsip

Reno, NV
Thanks for the quick reply and information, G-Stars. What would you suggest as a possible replacement for the UBV tube light? He is inside most of the year due to my cold location.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for the quick reply and information, G-Stars. What would you suggest as a possible replacement for the UBV tube light? He is inside most of the year due to my cold location.

I no longer use any UVB lights. Nothing better than the sun. since you can't get him outside much because of your climate I would say maybe an MVB. To limit the excess lights. And provide lots of hiding spots. Lots of plants.

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
I no longer use any UVB lights. Nothing better than the sun. since you can't get him outside much because of your climate I would say maybe an MVB. To limit the excess lights. And provide lots of hiding spots. Lots of plants.

Same suggestion. MVB lights really do the trick. My guys are more active when I keep my uvb HO tube off because it can be too much light. I have multiple hides and angled areas for them to hang out. So I keep my MVB on for 14 hours with their soaks coming around the 8 hour mark. The UVB tube is timed for half of the same time period. The idea was to run a transition to morning afternoon evening and night.

Temps are 75 at night. During the day the gradient goes from 75 to 95.

Humidity is steady 75 at all times. I used a humidity solution that Tom suggested (used cool mist humidifiers from walmart and used clear tubing and pvc fittings to deliver the humidity). Works like a charm.

I also take them outside one to two times per week for a few hours (schedule and sunlight allowing). Can't replace that free light outside.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
There was a recent paper presented that discusses night temperature and effect on pyramiding. According to the paper presented, humidity did not play a role in bumping but higher night temperatures had an affect on normal growth. Very enlightening article. I will be dropping my night time temps down into the low 70's and keep daytime temps in the low 90's. Zoo Atlanta keeps ther Star Tortoises and Radiateds out into the low 40's as long as it is not rainy. As the day warms up into the 60's-70's they will eat normally under these conditions according to the head veterinarian at the zoo.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Suppose there is no sun?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I recieved my Sri Lankan Star tortoise almost a week ago and am smitten. But I need a little help clarifying some lighting and temperature/humidity questions for a 3 year old, 4 inch Sri Lankan Star.

1) Have any of you noticed whether or not your Star seems to be bothered by bright lighting? Mine seems to dislike bright lights and will only become active when it's darker.

Cage has reptisun 10.0 tube and flood light.

2) What should my night temperature be set at? I have an 80w RBI radiant heat panel on a herpstat set to 78°f at night.

3) What humidity level should I aim for? I find hatchling information easily, but not juvenile. His humidity right now ranges from 60-80% with ambient temps in 80° range.

Lastly, obligatory pics!

A very warm welcome to the forum!

britsip

Reno, NV
This is very interesting. If you have a link or whatnot to the paper, I'd love to read it. Thanks for your help!