Does his shell look ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidenb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
I got my first baby hermanns tortoise and don't have experience with babies or what she'll growth looks like as I only have experience with me and my boyfriends 15 year old redfoot who was near adult when we got him. I just wanted to know if his shell looks ok? It is slightly raised around the edges of each schute (if that's the proper term)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 136

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Looks good, just keep the humidity up!....that...proper diet, sunshine, etc and he will for grow to be happy and healthy.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
What should humidity be at? I was told they are from very dry climates and I was worried moist substrate and misting could cause respiratory infections. Also, which subspecies of hermanns is this little guy?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
high humidity helps alot with my hermanns. I think he looks great as of now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just remember: humid/warm = good humid/cold=bad

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Yvonne G said:
Just remember: humid/warm = good humid/cold=bad

Humid and warm during the day is easy enough but how do I stop it from being cold and damp at night when his heat lamp is off? I don't want him outside permanent til he's past the hatchling stage so he's only in real sunlight a few hours a day with a 10.0 UVB on him the rest of the day

[email protected]

5 Year Member
No they should still have a temperature drop I don't know what to tell you lol get a lower wattage CHE than your bulb maybe so that he can have the right temp drop I don't have torts so I wouldn't know much lol

I have aquatic turtles looking forward to getting tortoises someday hopefully soon

aidenb

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
From past experience, while great for desert creatures, ceramic heat emitters dry the air and promote dry conditions rather than aiding with humidity.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
You can get a thermostat with a photocell, it can tell the difference between night and day, then you set the CHE at one temp for day and another for night so that it won't get cold while still giving them a drop in temp for night.

You can also hook up a humidifier on a hygrostat (I am fairly certain that is what its called) which will keep the humidity correct too.

Status
Not open for further replies.