Do tortoises like rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So I live in AZ and it rarely rains.....we are getting a lot of rain tonight and I was wondering if tortoises generally enjoy the rain? My two tortoises love when I get the hose out but should I move them to a dry area? They are almost too heavy for me to pick up or I would just do it haha. Both of them have their heads stretched out which makes me think it's not bothering them.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Mine loves the rain and the sprinkler especially when it hot out..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Most of mine love the rain....and all of them come out when it rains...like zombies to the freshies LOL..... then they go back in their burrows/hides after they have had their fill..... I believe that yours should be fine as long as they have a dry place to retreat to if they wish... :D

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thank you, and yes they have the whole backyard with lots of shelter including their large dog house. I guess I'm just a mom that worries too much :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob loves water, pools of it, sprinklers, hoses and rain...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine love the rain too. It mainly rains here in winter, so when its in the 40's and raining, I have to block my torts in their houses or they come out and sit in the cold rain all night.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
RV was on the patio, sheltered, until it started raining. She was in the yard with the rain, happy happy. I'd have to worry about cooler weather and like Tom, keep RV in her house if necessary. But for now, let them enjoy

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
My little guy would probably drown in the rain here, but he loves the mister bottle!

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
pandacakes said:
My little guy would probably drown in the rain here, but he loves the mister bottle!

Same here. If it's starts raining then Bowser comes inside (for now). It has been raining really hard in the evenings lately, but thats normal for Florida right now. But I'll bring her inside and use a spray/mist bottle on her and her area. By the time that she is outside permanently she'll be used to it, lol.

kelly.christoffersen

5 Year Member
This is good to know; I was concerned that I wasn't reading mine right. They seem come out as soon as it begins sprinkling and really enjoy it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
kelly.christoffersen said:
This is good to know; I was concerned that I wasn't reading mine right. They seem come out as soon as it begins sprinkling and really enjoy it.

Hi Kelly:

Won't you please take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.