Diet help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan67

5 Year Member
Hi guys, seriously getting stressed out now about what to feed my Russian tortoise! Currently I'm feeding him romaine lettuce, chicory, little gem lettuce, rocket, water cress, cabbage, coriander and basil. I know they eat clover and dandelion but as it's winter there isn't any growing. Can someone that lives in the uk answer this please. I know they eat mustard and turnip greens but where in the uk do you buy them? When you look at the edible plants they can eat I have know idea where they grow.

Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what type of grocery store do you have? Do they sell a variety of greens for humans? Bagged Salad greens? looks for Mixed baby greens or Spring Mix.

R114

5 Year Member
You could always get a cheap heat lamp with a UV light and grow some clover/italian dandelion inside.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
R114 said:
You could always get a cheap heat lamp with a UV light and grow some clover/italian dandelion inside.

I agree with this idea. Or even just setting pots in the windows if you have enough sun. I live in a Arizona in the US where the weather is almost always perfect for growing something but fortunately I think dandelions and other weeds are easy to grow in a variety of conditions. Growing plants in your house is good for you humans too! Cleans the air or something like that! :p I have found that it is cheaper overall to grow the majority of their food! :)

Jordan67

5 Year Member
Currently I'm growing cress, coriander and basil on my windowsill. Are there any weeds I could grow?

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Primrose, Stinging Nettle, Rose Mallow, Millk Thistle, Red Russian Kale, Alfalfa, Purple Coneflower, Red & White Clover.
There are mixes you can buy online thru Carolina Pet Supply and Arizona Tortoise Compound but I am not sure if they will ship outside of the United States.
Some other stuff:

Canary grass seeds
Thistle
Nyjer

Status
Not open for further replies.