Desert Tortoise Prefers Indoors. What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Ive been reading that anything other than native weeds, flowers and some greens are a big no-no.

I find it interesting that quite a few keepers feed peppers and melon. I used to give my sulcatas canned organic pumpkin.

Thoughts on canned pumpkin for dt's ??

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
canned organic pumpkin.

Would think this is fine...like once a week or every other week...it is good to clear their pipes and it is a yummy treat....as long as you keep your CDTS well hydrated I would not hesitate to offer this, and I love the organic products for the torts....:D

ooopppsss...meant to attach this to my post a moment ago...but forgot to hit the button...hahahaha...you will see that vitamin A benefits are off the chart with this food....also water content is good and there is a sprinkling of other other good items....yes, there is sugar content as well so once a week or every other week....

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2602/2

:D

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Yeah, I do a combo soak/outside time (until I get his/her, permanent outdoor enclosure all set up), 3-4 days a week for a couple hours each day. He/she loves it outside. Inside, he/she mosey's around the enclosure and stuff, but outside in his/her soaking tub, Cooter is moving around non-stop and so active.
Ive pretty much gone by Az Game and Fish diet guidlines. They pretty much say, native weeds/flowers and some dark greens (which mine loves loves bok choy!), but ive just seen more and more people even once a week offering some fruits, peppers, etc.

azkeyrealtor

5 Year Member
Ahhh THANK YOU!!!! We just love our lil fella!! We enjoy watching him enjoy the yard and cool off in the sprinkler and visit us now and then inside! :):D

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cecilia, Kentucky
cmsg said:
Wow! I can't believe she was able to climb over cinder blocks!? She must be quite large and strong. Since I am using cinder blocks as a barrier I'll really have to keep an eye on my tough guy.

badkitty said:
haha At least I'm not the only one. My desert tort native to AZ loves to come inside and visit everyone, she has a favorite corner she likes to take a nap in. She recently climbed over 2 cinder blocks and scratched at the back door til I let her in. I think they have great personalities and they love their human family!

Yes she is big about 11 lbs we are not sure how old she is. She is a very determined tort so we will be adding a third cinder block soon.

azkeyrealtor

5 Year Member
When we were getting prepared to adopt Tilly we had to actually take pictures of our gate to make sure that Tilly couldn't burrow under the gate or make any attempts of leaving. We have a concrete slab in front of our gate so that Tilly doesn't burrow as well as a rubber plastic brush/sweeper thing we purchased at Home Depot so he couldn't get under the gate. These guys are TOUGH!!! When Tilly wants to get to something he sure will.... He moved a 3 gallon jug of water to get to a spot... he also was able to open our shed door when my husband left it open slightly. Tilly found a nice hiding spot in there but we quickly purchased a lock because we don't want him in the shed with our lawn mower and lawn equipment.

A few weeks ago after a nice soak in the play pool and bobbing his head and drinking Tilly went and ate some wonderful grass and weeds and ya know what?? He dropped his white stuff. I called the vet and said that was a good thing.. he was getting enough water to release his extra. So don't be scared if you see some white powder around the yard that resembles an ashy white substance.

Love hearing torte stories.. these creatures are the BEST!!!!

Take care!!!:D

Has your DT ever tried to burrow his way out of your yard? The fellow I'm caring for (Bloomster) hasn't expressed any interest in burrowing but he does stare at the slits between the fence posts, sometimes. He'll just stand and look sideways at it for awhile and then move on. I'm considering filling up the slits with a wood paste but I'll wait and see how curious he becomes before I do that. This guy has a ton of space and barely uses the whole yard. He seems to favor one side over the other even though there are primroses and grapes growing on the ignored side.

Thanks again for your response! It helps a lot being that I'm a total novice at this.

[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.