Cuts on my Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Hi,

Its been a while since I’ve been on here but I have a question and I’m hoping someone will be able to help.

My tortoise has been climbing the sides of his enclosure a lot lately and a few times when he has slid back down it seems like he has hurt himself. He had some cuts on his back legs, and they have healed for the most part but now he has some cuts on his neck. I think when he falls his shell must be cutting into his skin. Is this normal for tortoises to get cut by their own shell? What can I do in this situation? How can I better clean the areas? (Oh and my tortoise is only about 2 years old so he's still little)

Thanks,

Mallorie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A q-tip and some peroxide should help clean him up, but the bigger question is why this is happening. This is not normal and its sounds like your enclosure needs to be modified. Can you post some pics of the problem area? Both on the tortoise and the enclosure.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I say pics as well plz. they usually only climb if the enclosure is too small or if they can see the other side. mine use to get a cut or two on his neck when I'd keep him indoors during cold weather. I just hold him outside for two minutes then he realizes it sucks and doesn't fuss.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Yay another North Carolinian! lol that's all I got. Visual barriers and blah blah, they got it covered pretty much. Oh and a bigger enclosure is always better. Sulcatas are nothing if not active, just from my experience with my one little baby. I like to get him warmed up good in a soak and take him outside for a few minutes even if it's chilly, he gets some fresh air, sun light and some stomping around time. After that, he's content to come in and eat then crash for a while.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Hi, sorry for the delay in my response. I'm going to post pictures being well aware of the fact some of you will fuss at me, but I'm working on it. I know that Cedar (my tort) was doing the climbing cause he was bored. This was the tank he was in when he cut his neck.

image-2653218239.png

It's awful I know. He spent the summer on my screened in balcony. He got the cuts on his legs when he was outside. I now keep him in this...

image-1203041795.png

image-3637775722.png

He is much happier in this, but I haven't figured out how to hang all his lights yet so he still spends nights in the tank and I keep him in the tank every couple days so he can get his light for the sun. I live in Florida now (guess I need to change the north carolina thing) so when ever it is warm I put him on the balcony for a bit.

Now everyone asked about the enclosure but nobody answered my question about if it's normal for tortoises to get cut by their own shell. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for all your help! And please don't attack me over the tank... I'm still learning and figuring things out. :)

Mallykc

5 Year Member
533c0d3e.jpg

tank

21b4e96f.jpg

cd4e5f60.jpg

new enclosure

apparently the phone app didnt wanna work. sorry about that!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You could stack a couple bricks on each end of the new enclosure and get a 2x4 and set across the bricks and attach/hang the lights from the 2x4?

You don't plan on keeping him in that enclosure with only sand do you? That really freaks me out....way too much sand (impaction risk is greatly increased) also there is no way that your tortoise has any real walking traction with that amount of sand....Not meaning to be mean in any way :D

Mallykc

5 Year Member
Yea, he goes in the tank just how it is. I know you aren't suppose to use sand and I've tried different things and mixing it with other stuff and he just loves the sand. He is always more active in the sand then in any other substance. He was in sand when I bought him, so maybe he's just use to it. I use to not have as much sand in there but he likes to dig and he moves that sand all over the place. I added more so he wouldnt hit the bottom so much. Thanks for the feedback thou.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Does she have a UVB light? Does her encloser and tank have different temps of 75 or above on one end and around 90 on the other end? How's the humidity? I see some pyramiding of her shell. I think she needs more UVB and humidity. No I haven't herd of scraped caused by there she'll but perhaps it's deformed a bit from the pyramiding. I would change the sand out as well. Even though he likes it, it's not safe. JMO :)

I would also add calcium to her diet every 3 days added on her food and soak her daily. All these things will help with the pyramiding and help her shell hopefully not cut her.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Okay, since your tortoise paced because it was bored, its possible it didn't get enough exercise and is fat. That may be why the skin is rubbing against the shell and getting cut. Just an idea. Cuts from the shell really aren't normal. Maybe you want to recheck that diet and make sure you aren't lacking in vitamins or something causing the skin to be weaker too. I don't know, just a suggestion. I'd definitely recommend real unfiltered sunlight.

Mallykc

5 Year Member
I was finally able to get some pictures of the cut... any other thoughts on why he might have gotten this? It doesn't seem to be getting any better.

a5aa78de.jpg

e1143e14.jpg

Oh, and thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm making some changes. soaking him more, adding more vitamins and calcium to his diet. Keep them coming! Thanks :)

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Tiny my adult male Sulcata gets the same abrasions... He gets them from digging in every night in his hide...( He goes to the corner of his hide and digs and climbs the corner for about 20 minutes every night before settling in...)

Status
Not open for further replies.