Curious, How Long Can A Hatchling Sulcata Last Without Heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hey, what's up Tortoise Forum?

I'm curious as to how long can a hatchling Sulcata last without heat? Because I just picked up my Sulcata & the heating accessories don't come in until tomorrow. Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance,
SulcataDud3

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
You can use the hand warmers that you can get at walmart to provide heat. Or, maybe a heating pad as long as it doesn't get too hot. That would make me a bit nervous though. I wouldn't want a hatchling especially to get cold and get a respiratory infection.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just put him under a light bulb. A regular 60 watt bulb puts out plenty of heat over a small habitat.

Yvonne

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
The enclosure is currently at 80 degrees, I left my bedroom lights on, they're halogen light bulbs & they seem to generate heat well throughout my room. I'm sure he'll be fine till tomorrow, when the heating accessories get delivered.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Well Sulcatadud3 sounds like you answered your own question and had the solution all along, good for you.
In the future I do however suggest, for all the newbies, especially at this time of year when the weather is getting colder, people do their research first and acquire the necessary equipment before the tort. This will help ensure the health of the tort. :)

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Crazy1 said:
Well Sulcatadud3 sounds like you answered your own question and had the solution all along, good for you.
In the future I do however suggest, for all the newbies, especially at this time of year when the weather is getting colder, people do their research first and acquire the necessary equipment before the tort. This will help ensure the health of the tort. :)
I've raised Sulcata's before & had around 20 of them at one time before. My experience with hatchlings is very limited, I was raising juveniles/sub-adults/adults. I never really had to worry about heat most of the time because I have the Las Vegas heat & around winter I would have them in dog house along with built shelters with insulation & heaters. I already knew which equipment I need, but I made thread trying to find out which product was best, most of it revolved around caring for hatchling. I had read Russ Gurley's informal book on these species & had most of my knowledge coming from that book. I felt that was never enough, that's why I like asking tortoise keepers because of there hand on experience & it varies with each owner. I like hearing what others like to say & gather ideas to come up with better ways of caring for Sulcata's. The deal with the equipment was that I didn't want to buy them at my local PetSmart, Petco & exotic pet stores was because there more likely to be expensive & they are. I bought the equipment online & I would of had the equipment earlier, but they had a particular item out of stock. I waited for it to restock that way I only had to pay one bill for shipping. There was nothing I could really do. And I am one of those guys that like to have everything setup perfectly & I'm organized. One way to describe this is I have OCD.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ok Sulcatadud3 chill, I stated ‘for newbie’s’, I was not accusing you of being one. As a more experienced owner you were able to figure out the answer to your original question. I was actually giving you a pat on the back for using your head. Now rather than get somewhat defensive and feel the need to explain yourself, perhaps rewording your questions would get you the responses you are looking for rather than making others feel like you are only asking questions so you can show how well informed you are.
If you have been raising older Sullys you are still somewhat of a newbie when it comes to hatchlings. We all are at one point.
Even we old folk learn new things all the time and if I can impart any wisdom to others or save them grief of an ill tort it is my pleasure to do so. The reason most of us are on this forum is to gain knowledge and to share knowledge with others. If it was just about reading books there would not be a forum. I too love to hear what others do and see pics of other owners’ enclosures and their torts.

SulcataDud3 said:
Crazy1 said:
I've raised Sulcata's before & had around 20 of them at one time before. My experience with hatchlings is very limited, I was raising juveniles/sub-adults/adults. I never really had to worry about heat most of the time because I have the Las Vegas heat & around winter I would have them in dog house along with built shelters with insulation & heaters. I already knew which equipment I need, but I made thread trying to find out which product was best, most of it revolved around caring for hatchling. I had read Russ Gurley's informal book on these species & had most of my knowledge coming from that book. I felt that was never enough, that's why I like asking tortoise keepers because of there hand on experience & it varies with each owner. I like hearing what others like to say & gather ideas to come up with better ways of caring for Sulcata's. The deal with the equipment was that I didn't want to buy them at my local PetSmart, Petco & exotic pet stores was because there more likely to be expensive & they are. I bought the equipment online & I would of had the equipment earlier, but they had a particular item out of stock. I waited for it to restock that way I only had to pay one bill for shipping. There was nothing I could really do. And I am one of those guys that like to have everything setup perfectly & I'm organized. One way to describe this is I have OCD.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I got 5 out of the 6 items delivered, but the company screwed up my order & gave me the wrong light fixture. I have an unused ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulb *18”*, Repticare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter *100W* & Active UV Heat *100W*. Still no lights, but I'm going to try to get a 100W light fixture for the Active UV Heat *100W*. -_- That should do till next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.