compost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanp15

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Great Yarmouth, UK
can compost be used in the outside enclosures?
i was just wondering if it's safe for tortoises.

I've just started setting up the enclosure.

I was thinking of a pebbled area, a grass area and a soil area, does this sound ok?

I hope he likes it, although he just attatcked me when i walked in my room and was stroking him :(

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
The different substates sound great. Just make sure the pebbles are larger than he can swallow. Don't want him eating them. I think it is always good to give them different substrates to enjoy. I'm not sure but I would think that as long as the compost was organic and well decomposed and dry it would be OK.
He attacked you? How?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
If watch what the compost is composed of, it should be fine. I use a compost pile of lawn grass, leaves, and garden waste with mine (redfoots, burmese mountain, and box turtles) and they dig thru it for bugs and shelter.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Larry had some good advise, be careful what you put in to the compost. We don't always know how long chemicals and things like Ivermectin may last in the composting cycle or if eaten by worms. Any compost used by torts, should only have things added they could normally eat or be in.

ryanp15

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great Yarmouth, UK
ok thanks, i'll make sure it's safe :D
yep i'll buy cobbles probably so that they're quite big

haha he's a male and I let him out in my bedroom, which means he thinks it's his terratory and sometimes he thrusts his shell into my foot or hand :( it doesn't hurt me but i hope it doesn't hurt him.

also, what sort of outside hides do people have? I'm thinking something similar to a rabbit hutch but just with a small entrance on the front. How big are most people's?

thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.