clueless and need advice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishlass

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ireland
Hi!
I am very interested in getting a tortoise, but in Ireland there isnt a lot of info or breeders etc. there are currently 5 or 6 torts for sale in the country that i can find. there are greek, hermann, and russian ones. Plus one other that the current owner does not know the breed. I feel a bit sorry for him/her because before i get one i want to make sure i do and know everything there is to know... so i asked her for a picture of it.. i did also ask what size it was but did not get an answer... i fear that he will end up sold to another person who will not know how to care for him, so if i can find out what he is i would consider it. i did find some pictures of hermanns that have similar markings but they seem so different..she says its about 3 years old
my question is this, of the above breeds which would you recommend for a beginner but very keen to do right by tortoise! and second, (if i can post a pic) can you identify or suggest possible breed of this one....

Attachments

• tort.jpg
    tort.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 38

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Actually all three of those breeds are good for beginners. I'm a total novice, but that tortoise looks a little bit like a Greek to me?
I've never seen one with so much black on it though...

irishlass

5 Year Member
ireland
NudistApple said:
Actually all three of those breeds are good for beginners. I'm a total novice, but that tortoise looks a little bit like a Greek to me?
I've never seen one with so much black on it though...

thanks!
I actually just remembered there is also a video of that tortoise which might help id
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fk7YsHpsB4&feature=player_embedded

and i found a new picture on the advert.... sorry the pictures are so small

Attachments

• tort 2.jpg
    tort 2.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 98

irishlass

5 Year Member
ireland
and another....
sorry guys, my first time here and here i am slamming with pics! i just keep finding diffierent pics from the same seller on different sights...

thanks to anyone with any suggestions!
:D

Attachments

• tort 3.jpg
    tort 3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 12

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi irishlass:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Any of those type tortoise would be good for a beginner to have. And if the price is right on the one pictured, buy it. It looks healthy and active. I'm not good at I.D.ing the Mediterranean species, but its either a Greek or a Hermanns and either one would be a great choice.

What would you like us to call you?

irishlass

5 Year Member
ireland
thanks!
i was just looking at pics of greeks and thinking that too..
but mean while i found another hermann closer by with a much bigger vivarium!! its 48x14x18 inches.. thats as big as i can find here
so i think it will be a hermann lady for me! theres the most info available here(ireland that is, re the weather etc!) about that breed too..
so, I am back off to the breed specific threads for another hour! so glad i found this forum!!!

Catherine is my name but i am often called mad or crazy!!!!! :)

one last question for today!

Will noise in the house bother tortoise? or even outside?

dogs barking etc? when she goes outside it will be yo a very safe area where no cats or dogs etc can get near it, but they will bark from time to time! I just would like to have tort near me when i am inside but if the dogs bark i dont want it scared to death, so could put it in another room if you think i should?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Catherine:

As long as the tortoise is in a safe, secure habitat that she can "own," noises shouldn't bother her.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Noises tend not to bother tortoises, the way their ear canals are and all.

irishlass

5 Year Member
ireland
yay!!! happy early birthday to me i'm getting a tortoise next weekend! no doubt you'll be sick of me! now to work out best possible way to care for her...
thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.