Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yesterday I had to rescue Medea (65lb Manouria emys phayrei) from a corner of the fence where she had wedged herself trying to climb over the fence.

I heard thumping and bumping just a few minutes ago, and went outside to check and there she is again. This time she's in a different corner, but really trampling my poor grape vine...trying to climb the fence.

One of the other females is nesting. Medea might be restless because of the nesting instinct. Or it could be she can sense all the good stuff to eat on the other side of the fence. Here's what I found this afternoon:

climbingtortoise-1.jpg

climbingtortoise-2.jpg

There's no doubt in my mind that if the fence didn't have that one last board up topside, she would be able to climb over. Who woulda' thunk such a big tortoise could climb?

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yvonne you're going to have to make it smell good on your side. I think your going to have to feed it more. :p

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Bubbaloo always climbs out of his soaking bowl. I never have to take him out. I just come down and the rubber maid container is standing straight up in the air and hes just sitting their like " What are you looking at?". I will take a pic next time ! But anyways yes i have learned quick they are pretty good climbers. They certainly have the nails for it like russians.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, no...she can't escape. On the other side of that fence is all the veggies and shrubs I've planted in order to extend her rain forest. Eventually, as the plants mature, I'll take down that fence she's trying to climb, and they will be allowed in there. As you can see, part of the fence is already down, but now I'm going to have to remove that last section so she doesn't have a corner to help her. My poor grape vine. If you look at the ground around her feet, that used to be a really nice stand of "end-of-summer" plants (don't know the botanical name). They just trample everything. They won't be allowed into the new part for at least a year.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
twtraudio said:
Bubbaloo always climbs out of his soaking bowl. I never have to take him out. I just come down and the rubber maid container is standing straight up in the air and hes just sitting their like " What are you looking at?". I will take a pic next time ! But anyways yes i have learned quick they are pretty good climbers. They certainly have the nails for it like russians.

I would love to see a picture of that. I'm picturing it right now and laughing. :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne, looks like Medea is definitely eyeing the new part of her rainforest and picking all the good spots for next year since that poor little vine isn't cooperating with her climbing success. She is lovely thanks for sharing her climbing adventure.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Looks good, cant wait for mine to get big like that, right now little plants are what they are trying to climb over, lol

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Awww Medea is sure an adventurer :) Im SURE she can smell all the yummies ! She is lovely though Yvonne, very beautiful shell.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Really cute pics Yvonne,
Medea looks like she saw something interesting on the other side of the fence or maybe she is spying on someone :D

Status
Not open for further replies.