Cleaning Humidifiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Hi!

Another general question. I've had my humidifier on for 24/7 for oh, 2-3 weeks now, and before I turned it back on, I cleaned it (the whole vinegar thing, waiting, scrubbing with a toothbrush, etc.) but I don't feel that really cleaned it, and now it's time to clean it again, I think? How often do you clean yours if you use one, and what do you clean it with? The most natural products possible preferred.

Thanks much!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I soak it in vinegar all day,scrubbing the element occasionally.At the end of the day I squeeze a lime over it.Lime juice is much more acidic.I have really hard water and have to clean them about once a week.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Thank you! Just regular distilled white vinegar? Much appreciated!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I don't clean mine very often, maybe every couple of weeks. I bought it at a thrift store for $2 so if it dies on me I'll have an excuse to get a better one ;)

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Yeah, I had mine going for about 2-3 weeks and it looks pretty nasty/corroded, so I'm glad I'm cleaning it. That's quite a steal at a thrift store! I bet I could possibly find one at a goodwill, too. Good job!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Yes, it's very lucky. Last time I was there I saw a really nice warm mist humidifier which was basically brand new and it was $8. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it then. I looked it up online later and found out that it was a really nice/expensive model too... Anyhow, the same thift store usually has a couple for sale at any given time.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
mckenzieg said:
Thank you! Just regular distilled white vinegar? Much appreciated!
Just plain distilled vinegar.I get big limes at the Mexican store for 6 or 8 for a dollar.They really work good.

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
After you squirt the lime on it, do you let it sit for a while, too? And scrub? Thanks!!

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
mckenzieg said:
After you squirt the lime on it, do you let it sit for a while, too? And scrub? Thanks!!
When you put the lime on,you'll see it start foaming.I give it a little scrub and let it sit.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Just a suggestion but if you use filtered water, you reduce the buildup on the element, a brita filter to remove the bad stuff will go a long way to reduce the cleaning.

^^^^^^ my .02c!

mckenzieg

5 Year Member
Ah yes, I don't even drink filtered water myself, but that's a good idea. We should get one!

Status
Not open for further replies.