Choosing

SuzanneZ

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown
I'm not sure at all if I'm allowed a Tortoise. I live in Mississippi USA where the summers are unbearable. It occasionally freezes in late winter. Except for this drought year, we typically have 58" of rain a year. The humidity is very high in the summer.

In my reading I saw that the Red Footed would most likely better fit my area than the Russian or other dry area breeds.

Do you agree? Do you have any suggestions?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm not sure at all if I'm allowed a Tortoise. I live in Mississippi USA where the summers are unbearable. It occasionally freezes in late winter. Except for this drought year, we typically have 58" of rain a year. The humidity is very high in the summer.

In my reading I saw that the Red Footed would most likely better fit my area than the Russian or other dry area breeds.

Do you agree? Do you have any suggestions?
Redfoot can be kept anywhere in the world.
We had a member a while back who kept Redfoot in the UK and his rivaled mine from warm, humid, south Florida.
However, he had spent thousands of dollars building a zoo quality enclosure. And I simply let mine live outside. For free.
I suggest setting up two large scale enclosures. One for outdoors when the weather is warm and humid. One for indoors. When it's too cold and dry.
I'd also recommend starting off with an adult as a first Redfoot. They're generally more robust and more forgiving for less than ideal circumstances and less of a meal to outdoors predators.
Predators are also a factor.
What is your situation?
Do you have the means and the space?

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Redfoot can be kept anywhere in the world.
We had a member a while back who kept Redfoot in the UK and his rivaled mine from warm, humid, south Florida.
However, he had spent thousands of dollars building a zoo quality enclosure. And I simply let mine live outside. For free.
I suggest setting up two large scale enclosures. One for outdoors when the weather is warm and humid. One for indoors. When it's too cold and dry.
I'd also recommend starting off with an adult as a first Redfoot. They're generally more robust and more forgiving for less than ideal circumstances and less of a meal to outdoors predators.
Predators are also a factor.
What is your situation?
Do you have the means and the space?
Definitely have the space. The means is trickier, but I like to plan and build with whatever I can get. Blocks are sounding good to me. Two courses laid dry (is that safe?). My dogs are fenced from that area and don't go there, but coyotes can jump over if they wish, so I'd probably do removable framed wire for the top. Many plants.

Fireants are a huge problem. I don't know what to do about them except use poison, which isn't permanent. They make me think inside is better.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Definitely have the space. The means is trickier, but I like to plan and build with whatever I can get. Blocks are sounding good to me. Two courses laid dry (is that safe?). My dogs are fenced from that area and don't go there, but coyotes can jump over if they wish, so I'd probably do removable framed wire for the top. Many plants.

Fireants are a huge problem. I don't know what to do about them except use poison, which isn't permanent. They make me think inside is better.
Because Redfoot eat a lot of fruit and also animal protein, ants and especially Fire Ants can be an issue.
So, an indoor primary enclosure. With an outdoors, daytime supervised enclosure?

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
That sounds good. I wouldn't have to be so finicky with the building with me supervising.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you for your words. From what I'm seeing it will be some time before I could get one. I can start on things though.
That's very wise to have everything set up before bringing home an animal.
We're here to help you at every stage of it.