5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
An a cherry head mate with norther redfoots and have babies

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
They can, I think JD (N2TORTS) has had such hatchlings. It may not have been him, but I remember a post about it a while back.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Well i have 2 northers and want to aqquire a cherry head.. I love the colors and have a beautiful nice oranged color female who make make great babies with a cherry head

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Most tortoise breeders frown apon "cross-breeding" due to defects it can potentially cause in the produced hatchling. However, I am not sure it is so bad in this case because technically cherry heads and northerns are not seperate species. The cherry head is referred to as a sub-species. I would not recommend you intentionally breed the two.

jareeed2

5 Year Member
Boston
Oh then i definatly wont.. I thoughtthey could with no problem.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is a lot of debate about cross-breeding in general, and a lot of debate as to the relationship between Brazilians (cherry-heads) and Northerns. 'Cherry-heads' may turn out to just be a color phase, a sub-species, or a true separate species.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
jrcrist4 said:
They can, I think JD (N2TORTS) has had such hatchlings. It may not have been him, but I remember a post about it a while back.

Ditto.......

And i dont think it would be a problem breeding.....like an english and an american making children.....(kinda?)
But there is also what mark said... ~'''Cherry-heads' may turn out to just be a color phase, a sub-species, or a true separate species.''

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
tyler0912 said:
jrcrist4 said:

Ditto.......

And i dont think it would be a problem breeding.....like an english and an american making children.....(kinda?)
But there is also what mark said... ~'''Cherry-heads' may turn out to just be a color phase, a sub-species, or a true separate species.''

What is that statement based on ? Since you seem to have a lot of experience in cross breeding, could you explain this a bit further please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.