Check out pebbles new crib

I just finished making this tort table last weekend and am looking for some friendly feedback. Her UVB bulb broke a couple days ago and a new one is on it's way in the mail since there half as cheap online. Thats just a flood light for the next couple days but she goes outside all day so she gets plenty of natural sunlight out there. The substrate is 1/2 organic topsoil 1/2 cypress mulch. She loves to dig so I think that was a pretty good choice. Any feedback or suggestions on how to make it better? I had her in a 50 gallon plastic tote before I made this but I think she digs this more.

1444851990399.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
That is a cute name for a tortoise. I have a suggestion for safety sake, I would move the water dish away from the log. Tortoises like to climb and sometimes they fall off of what they're claiming on, wouldn't want your tortoise to fall off the log and land in the water. Very small chance of it happening but it could. And if you put your water in the middle your tortoise is less likely to just walk through it for fun and giggles and make it dirty. You can put large pebbles around it and it will also stay cleaner. And I always suggest plants because I think they make the enclosure look more natural. And it can also give site barriers for it to feel bigger for your tortoise.

That is a cute name for a tortoise. I have a suggestion for safety sake, I would move the water dish away from the log. Tortoises like to climb and sometimes they fall off of what they're claiming on, wouldn't want your tortoise to fall off the log and land in the water. Very small chance of it happening but it could. And if you put your water in the middle your tortoise is less likely to just walk through it for fun and giggles and make it dirty. You can put large pebbles around it and it will also stay cleaner. And I always suggest plants because I think they make the enclosure look more natural. And it can also give site barriers for it to feel bigger for your tortoise.
That's a great point, I didn't think about that. She does love to climb. It was on the other side but then I didn't want it to take up space in her warm spot so I moved it. Ill probably just move the water bowl I didn't know about if you put it in the middle they won't walk through it as much. That's really good to know cause she walks through it all the time. I've been wanting to put plants in there I just wasn't sure what a good plant would be. Any suggestions? :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When you get your new light, figure how to hang it rather than use the clamp. Two reasons - clamps frequently fail and cause fires, and being at an angle shortens the life of your mercury vapor bulb.

When you get your new light, figure how to hang it rather than use the clamp. Two reasons - clamps frequently fail and cause fires, and being at an angle shortens the life of your mercury vapor bulb.
I didn't know that, I'll try to rig it up somehow. Thanks :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Better. You can use a lamp stand from zoomed hang the bulb straight down. What is in the top right corner? I would add another little ring of rocks around the water bowl. How old is your tortoise? Spider plants work great in enclosures. I usually just keep mine in the pots and bury the pots down a little bit.

Okay cool good idea. There just rocks, she likes to climb so I just thought Id add some texture to the environment. And those are dandelions, there in a pot also, well disguised eh? Haha She's about at least 2 but she didn't start growing for a long time because her previous owner messed her up pretty bad. She's a rescue baby, I'm pretty sure she's really small for her age. She might even be older than that and is just Really small for her age.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
it looks great. I have a box turtle named Pebbles!

AnimalLady

I think it looks awesome. Spider plants are really good for enclosures. Boston Fern is another good one, but make sure it's Boston Fern. Some succulents would be nice too. Whatever plant you choose just make sure it's pesticide free :)