Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would highly recommend against it. All the fragrances and clumping agents would not be good. I don't recommend any sand of any kind as it is an impaction risk, and it can sometimes irritate their eyes and skin.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No, please do not. Just use dirt if you can't find a proper bedding. No sand or gravel.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
An excellent (and very inexpensive) substrata that is tort-friendly is Cypress Mulch...about $3-4 for a couple of cubic feet at most hardware stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) and garden centers/nurseries.

kristersIDlv

5 Year Member
Ok, I dont use them, because I want long life for my tortoise. :) About Cypress Mulch... doenst it bite into tortoises legs?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Cypress will work I use it for my leo's it does not bother them at all

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Im sorry not to be mean, But why in the world would you want to use cat litter when their are tons of other natural amazing substates to use? Was their a pet shop in your area that is using cat litter?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
SulcataSquirt said:
Im sorry not to be mean, But why in the world would you want to use cat litter when their are tons of other natural amazing substates to use? Was their a pet shop in your area that is using cat litter?
I think it is better to ask the question and get an answer then just do it and hurt your tortoise. As said above cat litter is not a good choice, I image it might be painful to walk on, I assume you are in another country and may not have access to most substrates, if you can' find cypress mulch, check a home improvement store rather than a pet store, the home improvement store will be cheaper, you can use just plain dirt if nothing else is available.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Even if you were able to find a litter that has no chemicals, the dust alone would present significant respiratory distress for your tortoise. Don't use it.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Please remember folks that the OP is from Latvia, not the US, and does not have access to the same stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.