Can someone please guess the age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
I know this is classic question #2 (right after, what sex is my tortoise? :D). My Cherryhead is just a bit over 2 1/4 of an inch when I measure her plastron. The pet store said she is about 8-10 months. Does that sound right? Thank you

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
too young to sex ....and probably a lil younger than what was told to you . That is a little small for a 8-10 month old .. but can be possible.

tignish99

5 Year Member
Thank you for answering.

LOL. I call her a she because she looks like a she to me. You are right, she may be a he in the future.

How old do you think she is looking at the size? She seemed to be well taken care of at the pet store.

N2TORTS said:
too young to sex ....and probably a lil younger than what was told to you . That is a little small for a 8-10 month old .. but can be possible.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Torts all grow at different rates depending on diet and conditions. Age really would be a complete guess.

tignish99

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Torts all grow at different rates depending on diet and conditions. Age really would be a complete guess.

Good to know. Thank you

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
Ok Mum .....
I would say more an educated guess and I bet I can narrow down to 4 weeks of it's actual age ...:D
If I had a close up of the face and the plastron ... of course ~

At 8 months and only 2 1/4 " ....is extremely small , but like mentioned it could possible.

tignish99

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
JoesMum said:
Ok Mum .....
I would say more an educated guess and I bet I can narrow down to 4 weeks of it's actual age ...:D
If I had a close up of the face and the plastron ... of course ~

At 8 months and only 2 1/4 " ....is extremely small , but like mentioned it could possible.

Here you go. Much obliged. Note, the white stuff is calcium powder. I am a bit new at posting pictures here. Please let me know if this worked.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachment.php?aid=45055
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachment.php?aid=45075

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
After viewing your pics .. I was looking for visible egg tooth (lack of/development) as well how far a long the yoke sack area has healed. Your little guy looks well on his way past the “neo-nate” stage which is still around the 6-8 week mark. By then most if not all of the egg tooth has diminished as well as the complete “ seam closure” at the bottom area of the plastron where the yoke sack was attached. I would say from the size of your little guy he is more like 5-6 months of age. Hatchlings are right around the 2” mark and after the first 2 months they really start to grow in size and weight , why I feel your little guy is a bit younger than what was told to you.

JD~:)

tignish99

5 Year Member
Thank you very much for your response. I had that feeling too. The staff that was there was not completely sure. I will make her birthday January 1 so it is easy to remember :)

N2TORTS said:
After viewing your pics .. I was looking for visible egg tooth (lack of/development) as well how far a long the yoke sack area has healed. Your little guy looks well on his way past the “neo-nate” stage which is still around the 6-8 week mark. By then most if not all of the egg tooth has diminished as well as the complete “ seam closure” at the bottom area of the plastron where the yoke sack was attached. I would say from the size of your little guy he is more like 5-6 months of age. Hatchlings are right around the 2” mark and after the first 2 months they really start to grow in size and weight , why I feel your little guy is a bit younger than what was told to you.

JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.