Can I take care of north America box turtle the same with the tortoises?

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
My friend recently wants to give away a box turtle since he doesn't have time for her anymore. I am considering to get the turtle

Will the North American box turtle house environment the same with tortoises? Like 80-90F for enclosure temprature and 100F at the basking area? Then 80%-100% humidity in the enclosure? And we need to have a UVB tube for the box turtle as well?

Thanks!

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
Hi... and no, they will not have the same requirements as a tortoise. Can you confirm if this is a farm bred box turtle? If not, my first recommendation would be to release it in the same general location that it was found in. They are a threatened species and should not be removed from their natural environment. If it was from a breeder, begin your research on the specific species of box turtle, as the requirements will fluctuate with each. Their ambient temps, humidity and lighting requirements would be different than most tortoise species. Diet would be completely different. Please do your research before accepting the box turtle.

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
My friend recently wants to give away a box turtle since he doesn't have time for her anymore. I am considering to get the turtle

Will the North American box turtle house environment the same with tortoises? Like 80-90F for enclosure temprature and 100F at the basking area? Then 80%-100% humidity in the enclosure? And we need to have a UVB tube for the box turtle as well?

Thanks!
Check this out as well... https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/box-turtle-care-sheet.93937/

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

qiangzhu

Washington
Hi... and no, they will not have the same requirements as a tortoise. Can you confirm if this is a farm bred box turtle? If not, my first recommendation would be to release it in the same general location that it was found in. They are a threatened species and should not be removed from their natural environment. If it was from a breeder, begin your research on the specific species of box turtle, as the requirements will fluctuate with each. Their ambient temps, humidity and lighting requirements would be different than most tortoise species. Diet would be completely different. Please do your research before accepting the box turtle.
He bought it from a pet store a few years ago but he is not sure if the pet store got it from wild or it is captive bred. But the box turtle is definetely not a natural species in Washington state per my search in google. I will take a look at the care sheet.