Bowser Update and MBD/Pyramiding Question!!!

SamAnn

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Maryland
Hello! Im not sure if any of you remember us! Its been a while since I posted about my sulcata, Bowser! He is doing FANTASTIC! He is loving his 1/4 acre orchardgrass field and despite having a tort house in his field for him, he regularly lets himself into the house around 7pm for his nightly pumpkin medication ball LOL. He is clearly no longer paralyzed in his back end and we actually only needed the wheelchair for about 3 weeks until he built up the strength from his muscle atrophy.
I did have a question about his severe pyramiding and MBD. Given that we continue with his correct care and feeding, do you think he will still grow? I know obviously the pyramids will always remain, but will he get larger in general size? If he stays 25lbs forever, i would be just as happy... im just wondering! Do MBD and Pyramid torts typically still grow in size? Thanks in advance, everyone!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They usually do resume growing, but not always. It is likely that he will get bigger.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

Where do you live and what is the climate like back there? If it is dry, then make sure yo give your tort daily soaks in warm water. I for one live in Jordan (the Middle East) where it is very DRY. Therefore I give Oli (my beloved tort) a soak in warm water twice and sometimes three times a day, so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration. I also spray his enclosure at least once a day.

SamAnn

Southern Maryland
Sorry for the late response, i didn't get an email alert! Bowser was rescued from a shed with no UVB and only pellet food for 8 years. We rescued him him November. Its been a rough road for him, learning to walk again and battling respiratory illnesses. Luckily im a vet tech of 5 years so I was able to understand what he needs! The humidity up here in Maryland is typically about 75% or higher, he has a wadding pond in his enclosure and his shelter is over dirt ground so that he can dig and create his own environment. He also enjoys relaxing under a hose mister.