Hjmledman

5 Year Member
I know this is a late reply, but my tortoise got those black rings when I started feeding him Mazuri tortoise diet. Unfortunately, it had much worse side effects than just the darker growth ring too. The scutes "sank" down in some places an deformed in others. His shell was permanently damaged because I couldn't identify the culprit quickly enough. He also seemed to be leaking this hard, sap-like substance from the growth rings and several parts of his shell started chipping off. Once I removed it from his diet, his new growth rings came in looking normal again. But his shell was permanently damaged unfortunately. Wish I had figured out out sooner. Have you fed him that since you've had him?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I know this is a late reply, but my tortoise got those black rings when I started feeding him Mazuri tortoise diet. Unfortunately, it had much worse side effects than just the darker growth ring too. The scutes "sank" down in some places an deformed in others. His shell was permanently damaged because I couldn't identify the culprit quickly enough. He also seemed to be leaking this hard, sap-like substance from the growth rings and several parts of his shell started chipping off. Once I removed it from his diet, his new growth rings came in looking normal again. But his shell was permanently damaged unfortunately. Wish I had figured out out sooner. Have you fed him that since you've had him?
Was he only having mazuri at the time?

Location (City and/or State)
America
No, luckily i have not. I have since switched him from a mixed pellet and veggie/fruit diet to an all veggie and fruit diet with some natural protein. I really appreciate it! So glad you found the problem!