Best substrate?

tortoiseforthewin

5 Year Member
(Horsfield tortoise)

I've been researching and I've been told not to use wood chips or hemp like 'pellets' but to use 50/50 sand/soil. Will this be okay? And will my little guy be okay sleeping in hay in his little box? ( Haven't got him just yet :) )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't like to use any sand at all. You run the risk of the tortoise becoming impacted if he accidentally eats too much of it...like if it gets tracked on his food and he eats it, etc.

My first choice is fine-grade orchid bark, then cypress mulch, then coco coir, then plain old dirt from the yard. But if you use dirt, be sure the tortoise is well-hydrated.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
hey there! i would never use those rabbit pellets....they mold very quickly and are not meant for a tortoise. cheapest thing is clean, pesticide free dirt from your backyard or top soil which can be found at the dollar store usually. most people use that as a base and mix either mulch or coco coir with it.

hay is alright in a sleeping area as long as it doesn't get wet because it molds too. that being said, i have a half log with hay in it but i change it every other week only because my tort likes it. if you see that yours never sleeps there, I'd just take it out completely. something to use in it's place is sphagnum moss.