Basking spot temperature

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Hi all!
I have a hatchling Greek tortoise! I preciously had his lights sitting on a mesh lid that was covering his tank, but now I'm reading that the uvb rays won't get to him through the mesh, so I've been trying out some different ways to hang the lights (which is a problem. I am Not creative or handy!) So right now I have them sitting lower than I would like them. Is there a temperature that is too hot for the basking spot? I have been checking my temps with the lights at a higher level and they have been in the 95 degree range, peaking at 101 or so. However, now that I have moved the lights down the temperature under the light is around 102+.
Is that an ok temperature? Apparently Thor must like the lights down lower because he is basking almost directly underneath of them.

Any thoughts?? That was really rambling but I don't want to fry my baby! (He of course is getting soaked at least once a day and usually twice)

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
milkandsam said:
Hi all!
I have a hatchling Greek tortoise! I preciously had his lights sitting on a mesh lid that was covering his tank, but now I'm reading that the uvb rays won't get to him through the mesh, so I've been trying out some different ways to hang the lights (which is a problem. I am Not creative or handy!) So right now I have them sitting lower than I would like them. Is there a temperature that is too hot for the basking spot? I have been checking my temps with the lights at a higher level and they have been in the 95 degree range, peaking at 101 or so. However, now that I have moved the lights down the temperature under the light is around 102+.
Is that an ok temperature? Apparently Thor must like the lights down lower because he is basking almost directly underneath of them.

Any thoughts?? That was really rambling but I don't want to fry my baby! (He of course is getting soaked at least once a day and usually twice)
I don't keep Greek tortoises, but I found this for you;
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-84494-page-3.html
According to what they said, some people say 95-105 is okay. Some say 105 is too hot.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
^_^ you should be fine. Aslong as they have a cooler end then you have nothing to worry bout. This is the reason why its good to have a big enclosure. The cooler end needs to peak (talkinb bout day temp) up to 75-80 and basking to 95-100 (over a little isnt that bad)

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Awesome! Thanks! He definitely has lots of other places he can go to get away from it! :) happy to have a happy tort!!1388955139111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
^_^v glad to help! if you have time, post more pictures! We are addicts (Specially me when it comes to greek tortoises >.< ) and need our daily dose of cuteness! lol...

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Aww gee thanks. I will try to post more pics as soon as I can. I'm pretty sure greek tort pics are like crack to you!!! Lol

MzNENA

Colorado
Crack to me too. There are never enough Greek tortoise photos :D
Would love to see more lol