Average size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Is there a chart or list floating around somewhere that has the lengths of how big/long a sulcata should be about at certain ages? Like Bowser is 4 years old now and I'm wondering if she is a good size for her age... I know that they can grow at different rates. But having an average would be helpful to know that Bowser is on the right path.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
There really isn't. Even clutchmates can grow at greatly differing rates. I have seen well cared for 10" 4 year olds and even a 19" 4 year old. There are so many factors that go into growth rate.

How big is Bowser?

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I just measured the length of just her shell and she measured at 8". I'm still trying to find a place to weigh her, lol

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
drgnfly2265 said:
I just measured the length of just her shell and she measured at 8"

That's not bad. I have one that will be 2 next month and is 6.5"...his sister (same clutch) is 4". I have an Ivory male that measures 21" and will be 9 next month.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The growth rates can vary so much for so many different reasons that an average just isn't very useful. 8" is on the low end for a four year old, but if the diet, hydration and UV has been good, I wouldn't worry about it.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Cool, thank you all. I was thinking that she was a little smaller than other sulcatas that I see on youtube. I guess I can tell that she is eating enough and a lot, her legs are definitly big and beefy, lol. Maybe she will have a growth spurt soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.