Astrochelys or Geochelone?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
I have seen the Ploughshare tortoise called both Astrochelys yniphora and Geochelone yniphora. Which is correct?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen the Ploughshare tortoise called both Astrochelys yniphora and Geochelone yniphora. Which is correct?
Depends on who you ask and when you ask them. The names change sometimes, and then sometimes change back. {I'm looking at YOU Russian tortoises...}

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Right then. Like in our Jamaican boas, wherein the change has been from Epicrates subflavus to Chilabothrus subflavus.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Both names, Astrochelys yniphora and Geochelone yniphora, have been used to refer to the Ploughshare tortoise. However, the most current and widely accepted scientific name for this species is Astrochelys yniphora. The taxonomy of certain species, including tortoises, can change over time as more research is conducted and new information becomes available. In this case, the genus name was updated from Geochelone to Astrochelys. Therefore, if you want to use the most up-to-date and scientifically recognized name, you should refer to the species as Astrochelys yniphora.
Right. Until it changes again...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
When will people realise that it's not WHO is right, but WHAT is right.