Are certain types of fruits ok to feed to Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
Hi all. Right now I've been primarily feeding Toby romaine lettuce, with a few dandelions thrown in when I find them in my yard. I tried to feed him apple pieces last week, but he walked right over them and went to the lettuce. I haven't heard that feeding fruit to torts is great, but I know that some people do so I wanted to know opinions.

Oh, also, Toby hasn't pooped in a few days. I'm getting concerned. Other than that he seems happy. Is it normal for tortoises not to poop often? I've only had him for a little over a week so I don't know. Are there any foods I can give him to help with this area? Thanks!

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
An occasional fruit treat of apple or pumpkin should be alright, but fruit should definitely not be a staple in a Russian's diet because the sugar content is too high.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Toby is getting spoiled because you are mainly offering him romaine. While romaine is fine as a PART of a varied diet, it is NOT fine to feed all the time. Here are two pictures of tortoises; one was raised on a nice variety of different foods and the other, same species, same clutch, but sold to a friend, was mainly fed romaine:

Manouria-2.jpg

Manouria.jpg

As you can see, the romaine tortoise is almost flat.

As to the fruit part of your question.. I don't have any studies or links to research on the matter, but I understand that too much fruit in a grazing tortoise's diet causes a parasite bloom and should be avoided. A treat every so often is ok.

Yvonne

samstar

5 Year Member
I read somewhere that pumpkins are good to get rid of worms, please correct me if I'm wrong.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My russians get a carrot once a month and that is about it, , when I harvest my starwberries and cut the tops off they will usually get those also. but it is the green part of the strawberry with little bit of fruit, so fruits and vegetables should not be a staple of a russsian's diet. Mine get grape leaves, hibiscus flowers, radish tops squash blooms and leaves and that sort of thing. As to the pumpkin being a dewormer I know quite a few people on this site swear by it, but I have not seen any studies or reports of it myself. so while I can't say yes it does I also can not say it doesn't, but personally I would not rely on pumpkin to deworm your torts, the best way to deworm them is a vet visit. now my torts I can get dewormed at my C.T.T.C club in april for 10 dollars a tort, 15 for lrger torts so when i get a new tort I usually get them dewormed there myself.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I believe it is the seeds of it that are believed to de-worm. I however don't trust this and haven't seen a scientific stufy on it. I would rather have my vet test for parasites, and treat them with prescription de-wormer if they are found.

I don't believe in feeding Russians any fruit what so ever. I feed squash and pumpkin periodically, and a sliver (two bites of so) of carrot every month or so.

I would switch from romaine to organic spring mix (which does include romaine) as the staple. Also, rotate through the following for variety: weeds (if your yard is chemical free and has dandelions, it likely has other weeds; look up what is safe), other greens from the grocery store (such as collard, mustard, turnip, watercress, radish, etc), anything you can grow from seeds in planters (even indoors), cactus pads, edible flowers with no chemicals such as pansies/hibiscus/roses, and Mazuri Tortoise Diet and/or Grassland Tortoise Food. For example, I always buy spring mix, and add at least two other things to it.

I would give Toby a baby bath warm soak up to where the plastron meets the carapace, not more than once a day for up to 10-15 minutes (not sure if you already do this, but sometimes it will promote a poop). Sometimes tortoises do get a little constipated, but more than a few days isn't so great. Most torts will poop on average daily, sometimes twice in a day or every other day. As torts are settling in, it's very normal for them to have strange eating or bowel habits. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not eating much (and thus not pooping) much yet. Or, he could have been scared when you first got him and already pooped everything out. Sometimes a first time owner thinks the tort is eating a normal amount, but actually isn't, and after they settle in the appetite picks up even more. Also, sometimes torts will hide or even eat their poop. Some substrates mask it more than others, like the coconut fiber I read you have on another thread. You also said on another thread you don't think Toby is eating much... I don't think you should worry yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
samstar said:
I read somewhere that pumpkins are good to get rid of worms, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In order for pumpkin or squash of any kind to get rid of worms, you would have to grind up the seeds and feed the seeds to the tortoise. The de-worming properties aren't in the pumpkin, but rather in the seeds.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.