Anyone want to tell me all the things I'm doing wrong?

LaRue

Oh and I am still soaking 20 to 30 mins everyday, and change the water when it gets cool too. Also raised the temp to 85 inside his enclosure. He seems to stay under the spot light, and when that goes off he moves to the che lamp. Outside today he was moving the most I've seen. We did yard work most the day and could watch him most the day.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
He's beautiful, love his shell. I have notice this one struggling with anything thick, or long. We are chopping, but not that fine. Will give this a try for sure. Thank you so much for posting pictures, it helps a lot to "see" what you are referring to. This group is so wonderful and helpful. Thanks.
Another thing you may want to try just to get him started is making things "really mushy/slippery/soft/easy to go down the hatch". Critters that have been sick or off food for a while may have lost their natural instinctive drive to "eat in order to survive". Our job is trying to bring that drive back at any cost. You may want to try adding some gerber baby food whatever vegetables would be closest to your species diet. Also not sure if you've heard about "carrot soaks" for sickly torts. I'm convinced that my little Tucker would not be here today had it not been for my persistence a refusing to give up. I'd make tiny blends of different foods 2 times a day and get him out of his hide (3x day!!!) put him in front of his food. Sometimes he'd start running away, and I'd keep bringing him back over and over, until... he'd catch on and started eating. I know, I know!!! It's far from what they do in nature!" That they forage, etc... I just didn't want this baby to die on my watch. He is eating now but I still watch him closely. He seems to have some issues with the mechanics of eating, i.e. it takes him 2-3 trials to get a piece of food in his mouth where it doesn't fall out. I think with reg. consistency food he was getting discouraged, and food that soft where he gets his mouth full with each "scoop" satisfies his tummy much quicker and keeps him coming back for that reward. What can I say? Some of our animals have some special needs, just like us-humans do:)

LaRue

Haha! What you see is being a "mom of 3 picky eaters(human babies) experience" and nothing else:)
Hey I've got three little ones too. And I worried over every little thing. Lol. My oldest is 12, and I worry just the same as day 1. Poor kids. :)
So we've named the tortoise today, Rocky Road. And Rocky ate again today. The extra fine chopping seems to help. So I'll keep that up. Still have to return him to the dish over and over. However a big improvement is I saw him eat the grass, he had completely stopped foraging well over a week or 2 ago. So maybe giving him some time and extra care is paying off. I hope so. Again thanks for all the support.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hey I've got three little ones too. And I worried over every little thing. Lol. My oldest is 12, and I worry just the same as day 1. Poor kids. :)
So we've named the tortoise today, Rocky Road. And Rocky ate again today. The extra fine chopping seems to help. So I'll keep that up. Still have to return him to the dish over and over. However a big improvement is I saw him eat the grass, he had completely stopped foraging well over a week or 2 ago. So maybe giving him some time and extra care is paying off. I hope so. Again thanks for all the support.
Hi, it seems to me that Rocky (I like the name); is better today, right?

LaRue

Hi, it seems to me that Rocky (I like the name); is better today, right?
I really think so. I still have concerns. But he doesn't seem as stressed. So we are keeping a close eye on him. And I'm still reading a good bit of this forum too. Thanks.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I really think so. I still have concerns. But he doesn't seem as stressed. So we are keeping a close eye on him. And I'm still reading a good bit of this forum too. Thanks.
That is definitely good news. Keep up the good work, and keep up updated,

LaRue

Thanks Gillian. This morning he ate quite a bit, and we found a favorite snack, cucumber leaves. Big difference from a few days ago.

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Still not eating. Not sleeping in the hide like he was a few days ago. Have him outside. But now I have to be careful of the stray cats I saw. I think he's small enough for them to hurt.

I hope he feels better soon! I'm sure he'll adjust, it just takes time. We don't like change and they move a lot slower than we do. ;)
You should be careful to watch other animals as well..
I have heard that groundhogs, squirrels, raccoons, birds and things like that can very easily grab them up and carry them away..

Keep us posted!

LaRue

I hope he feels better soon! I'm sure he'll adjust, it just takes time. We don't like change and they move a lot slower than we do. ;)
You should be careful to watch other animals as well..
I have heard that groundhogs, squirrels, raccoons, birds and things like that can very easily grab them up and carry them away..

Keep us posted!
He's a little big for the little squirrels around here, I think, but the cats are a big problem. I'm not sure how to deal with them. I want him to have room and cats can find ways into almost anything not completely caged in. Still he seems much happier today.

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
He's a little big for the little squirrels around here, I think, but the cats are a big problem. I'm not sure how to deal with them. I want him to have room and cats can find ways into almost anything not completely caged in. Still he seems much happier today.

I'm so glad he's feeling better :)
Oh, right, you know.. I see how little our guys are and forget that a lot of others are Not hatchlings. lol.. o_O
Yea, I can see how cats would be tricky.. and curious.. Is there a way to put chicken wire around an area for him?

I think what we are looking at doing is the Crate cage idea, we can move it in doors during cold months but totally seal it up so they can't (even accidentally) get out..
Is that something that you could do?