Another Nest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
newnest3.jpg
Another Hermann's Tortoise laid eggs today! A Testudo hermanni boettgeri and she laid 6 eggs....this many eggs in December is the best early Christmas gift ever.

These pics aren't as good as the others because she was facing me and I didn't want to spook her.
So far all the eggs I have gotten except for one Italian egg have been fertile....so hopefully these will be too....man there are going to be babies everywhere..
newnest1.jpg

newnest2.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Chris, That's really great! I have not had the need to read up on breeding as of yet. How long until the eggs hatch? You have got to be sooooo excited!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
OMG that is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO coooooooool!!!!!!! It is going to be soooo awesome to have so many babies around!!!!!!!!!!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Thank you:)
The eggs take anywhere from 40 to 105 days possibly longer depending on temperature. Pretty much all of my tortoises hatch around 60 days at a temp between 86 and 90 degrees.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Im so green with envy of you Chris ;) I guess you are incubating everything for girls. Great idea since it seems there are not any females to be had anywhere else. *sniff sniff*

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
:)Thanks Anj, yes right now I am incubating everything for female.

L

lynncharlene

Proud Papa...Congratulations Chris!! I'm envious even though I have no idea yet what hatchling care entails. I'm learning now before I actually choose my companion(s).

I'm new to the forum, you can see my introduction here if you like. I am told by those in the know that you may be a source for 1 or 2 if unrelated t.h.h. youngsters.

Aside from coloration is there any personality difference that you can detect between thb and thh? I am leaning toward thh because of size and color. They are perfect for my climate and low humidity as are russians. I've been told russians can get quite feisty. Most other torts would not thrive here in the high desert because of low humidity and I mean low 10-15%.

Thanks in advance,

Lynn

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have 3 russians and none of mine are feisty, mine are just climbers. They are social when they are awake. Where are you located? You could always put a mister or fogger in the setup which should help with humidity. Good Luck in your decision.

Congrats Chris on the eggs, It's so cool!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Looking forward to seeing pics of the new hatchlings in about another 30 days.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
jenrell23 said:
I have 3 russians and none of mine are feisty, mine are just climbers. They are social when they are awake.

I've got a couple of FIESTY Russians! LOL! Very very feisty! But it's all good! I love that they have BIG personalities!!!

Back to subject at hand... can't wait to see some babykins!

Status
Not open for further replies.