Amazon Basin Yellow Foot Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

John1982

5 Year Member
I remember seeing some ads popping up for these a while back and being skeptical(some of them claimed they got up to 30+ inches).. Mostly it was young torts being offered but occasionally I'd seen animals that were larger but not out of the size range of the normal yellow foots(15-16 inches). I sent emails to a couple of the vendors seeking pictures of adults to quell my suspicions but none would oblige and either just dodged the request or answered not at all.. I'm curious if anybody has confirmed that there is indeed a south american tortoise that gets to 30+ inches long. Does anybody have any information about these animals, if they actually exist?

Thanks,
John

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
They exist, but I am not sure what vendors claim to offer matches up with those special individuals in most cases. My experiences match yours regarding evasive answers or none at all, typically. Only one vendor I have seen has a very large adult in his possession to justify the claim. I have bought some of supposed stock, but I have my doubts in terms of their relation to the true giants out there.

Check out these photos.

One with an Aldabra:

http://www.bioteck.org/Photogallery/Turtles and Tortoises/images/Giant Yellowfoot Tortoise 1.jpg

http://www.bioteck.org/Photogallery/Turtles and Tortoises/images/Giant Yellowfoot Tortoise 2.jpg

http://www.bioteck.org/Photogallery...agus, Giant Yellowfoot, Aladabra Tortoise.htm

Another:

http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/tortoises-turtles/49408-yellowfoot-tortoise.html

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...S9lVdOucRQ3hYk9lcYRqR4AhNmWE5OrEpPmTc5F__If2w

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
tyler0912 said:
Thee legs on the 4th link posted above are beuatiful! :)

I have the opportunity to meet these, but finding the time is tough. I will ask the zookeepers more about the origins of these particular animals, captive breeding, and more whenever it ends up happening.

John1982

5 Year Member
Those are some huge yellowfoots! Thank you for the info Baoh, you made a believer outta me. Now to find someone who is actually working with these behemoths, the search resumes!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I have seen some gigantic Basin denticulata in the past. The old Crandon Park Zoo in Miami had two enormous yellow-footed tortoises during the 60's and 70's that were every bit of 30 inches. I don't know what became of them when the zoo closed down. Also, Louis Porras would occasionally have some genuine giants during his days running The Shed in Miami. And of course, Pet Farm and Chase Importers would get some huge yellow-footed tortoises back in the day.
My friend **** Bartlett had a pair of Amazon Basin denticulata until about the late 80's. They were gorgeous animals and waaay larger than any you see these days.
The problem with trying to obtain AB denticulata is that since you are usually getting small tortoises (or hatchlings), you have to trust the dealer or breeder you are getting them from. But for most of us with any experience in the reptile industry, trusting reptile dealers is like trusting used car salesmen. Many will tell you whatever they think you want to hear... "Oh yeah, these are the real deal!"
Don't bet on it.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
cdmay said:
I have seen some gigantic Basin denticulata in the past. The old Crandon Park Zoo in Miami had two enormous yellow-footed tortoises during the 60's and 70's that were every bit of 30 inches. I don't know what became of them when the zoo closed down. Also, Louis Porras would occasionally have some genuine giants during his days running The Shed in Miami. And of course, Pet Farm and Chase Importers would get some huge yellow-footed tortoises back in the day.
My friend **** Bartlett had a pair of Amazon Basin denticulata until about the late 80's. They were gorgeous animals and waaay larger than any you see these days.
The problem with trying to obtain AB denticulata is that since you are usually getting small tortoises (or hatchlings), you have to trust the dealer or breeder you are getting them from. But for most of us with any experience in the reptile industry, trusting reptile dealers is like trusting used car salesmen. Many will tell you whatever they think you want to hear... "Oh yeah, these are the real deal!"
Don't bet on it.

I share your expressed point of view.

I wish someone would do some genetic analysis. I am curious about locale versus subspecies versus age and other factors that could play into the differences.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There was a field DNA study on Reds- and Yellows- that showed no real variation in Yellows. No idea how definitive that was, though.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here are a few pics of one I got From Chase in the early 70s, There were others around that were bigger than this one,which was 28 inches. They were all imports, and most in ill health and full of ticks.(those were the days) The last pic is where he is today,well at least his shell. Len

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
??Len?? said:
Here are a few pics of one I got From Chase in the early 70s, There were others around that were bigger than this one,which was 28 inches. They were all imports, and most in ill health and full of ticks.(those were the days) The last pic is where he is today,well at least his shell. Len

Very, very interesting. I had an 18 inch shell myself until a few years ago but I sent it to a friend in Ohio.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Baoh said:
tyler0912 said:
Thee legs on the 4th link posted above are beuatiful! :)

I have the opportunity to meet these, but finding the time is tough. I will ask the zookeepers more about the origins of these particular animals, captive breeding, and more whenever it ends up happening.

Awesome!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Thank you so much for sharing those photos, Len. Those actually helped me out a great deal.

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
Nice!!! I love them

I saw these for $500 each at a reptile expo this year.

Attachments

• 086.JPG
    086.JPG
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 127

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I loved the picture from the Zoo. It looked like he was running towards the crowd... How funny.

Thanks for the pictures. Reminds us that they do exist and how special creatures they really are.

Status
Not open for further replies.