Allergy to food??

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Today I gave my russian tortoise Baby Bok Choy. I read that it's okay in small amounts but I'm worried he's allergic! He ate a whole leaf, and started rubbing his nose with his feet and made funny mouth motions (kind of like a yawn:confused:? he has nevr done that before??) didn't want to eat anything else?? I soaked him hoping he would drink, and he stopped after a few hours, but is this an allergy? Is it dangerous?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
In all the years I've had tortoises I've never seen one have an allergy. My tortoises have eaten bok choy occasionally and I've never had a problem with it.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I feed bok choy to my Russian about once every couple of months, usually in winter, and have never had any reaction. I would wait a few days and soak the bok choy first in clear water to make sure nothing is clinging to the leaf. Then test a small portion of the bok choy with your Russian.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am trying to remember, but reptiles, don't really have allergies. I suspect he didn't like the taste, hence the reaction to it.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I am trying to remember, but reptiles, don't really have allergies. I suspect he didn't like the taste, hence the reaction to it.
I've just never seen him do it before, so I was worried! He's very picky but, it's good to hear tortoises don't have allergy's!
I feed bok choy to my Russian about once every couple of months, usually in winter, and have never had any reaction. I would wait a few days and soak the bok choy first in clear water to make sure nothing is clinging to the leaf. Then test a small portion of the bok choy with your Russian.
Okay... I hope he still eats it. I have quite a lot of it! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It may be that he had a piece stuck in his mouth. The tortoise's nose ends up in the roof of the mouth. If a piece of the leaf was stuck over the nose tubes, it might have been a bit upsetting to him.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I didn't think of that! Is there any way I could prevent it from sticking if that ever happens (again?)