Allergic to my tortoise or his enclosure???

Help2022

Location (City and/or State)
Milton Keynes MK35DX
After 4 weeks of getting my tortoise, I have developed an allergy on the skin of my chest neck and face. The skin is itching and burning. Do you think it is possible to become allergic?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
But After 4 weeks of getting my tortoise, I have developed an allergy on the skin of my chest neck and face. The skin is itching and burning. Do you think it is possible to become allergic?

We should always wash our hands after handling torts (or any pets), but have you been out collecting any weeds or handling foods that could have caused an allergic reaction?
What substrate are you're using?
Do you suffer from other allergies?

If it is an allergy I think only a test will tell you what's caused it.
Maybe wear rubber gloves when handling your tort and everything related to him for a while to rule things out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rather than an allergy to the tortoise, you've probably become sensitive to something in the tortoise's enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After 4 weeks of getting my tortoise, I have developed an allergy on the skin of my chest neck and face. The skin is itching and burning. Do you think it is possible to become allergic?
I agree with Yvonne. Reptiles don't throw dander and I've never heard of anyone being allergic to a reptile.

What substrate are you using? Are you keeping it damp?

Quixx66

Louisiana
My allergist told me that reptiles don’t cause allergies. Maybe mold or the substrate is what’s causing the problem. I found the fir orchid bark irritating, and it set off breathing problems. The reptisoil has been a better choice for me. Not sure if better for my tort, but he must reside in my bedroom soI just cannot use the orchid bark.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you tried coco coir ?
I've never used reptisoil but looking at the ingredients I would be worried that some of them could be harmful for torts.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Have you tried coco coir ?
I've never used reptisoil but looking at the ingredients I would be worried that some of them could be harmful for torts.
I have used coir often. It’s molded often.

The Reptisoil was recommended by his breeder, a well-respected member of TFO. Which ingredients concern you?

Thanks for the heads up. 😊

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have used coir often. It’s molded often.

The Reptisoil was recommended by his breeder, a well-respected member of TFO. Which ingredients concern you?

Thanks for the heads up. 😊
The mention of peat and not knowing what composted plants the soil is made from would make me wary, but it may be fine.