Adopted a 10 year old male russian and just need some advice

Wd1980

Location (City and/or State)
southampton, uk
I've recently adopted a 10yr old male Russian, he is my first tortoise.
He has always been outside, So we have made him a nice large enclosure in the garden.
He hasn't really eaten since we got him two weeks ago. In the mornings he comes out of his soil burrow and wanders about but after about an hour he re-buries himself.
Is this normal behaviour?
I am in the UK, Do you think it is too cold for him, even though we've had pretty good weather for our 'summer' ?
Do I need some sort of outdoor heat source?

All advice is welcome

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The weather is probably fine, no extra heat is required.

Tortoises are territorial. He's unhappy being removed from HIS territory. He'll eventually become used to his new space and start eating and acting more normal, but in the meantime, expect him to pace the walls looking for an escape route.

Kasia

Poland
I've recently adopted a 10yr old male Russian, he is my first tortoise.
He has always been outside, So we have made him a nice large enclosure in the garden.
He hasn't really eaten since we got him two weeks ago. In the mornings he comes out of his soil burrow and wanders about but after about an hour he re-buries himself.
Is this normal behaviour?
I am in the UK, Do you think it is too cold for him, even though we've had pretty good weather for our 'summer' ?
Do I need some sort of outdoor heat source?

All advice is welcome
Check his stool for worms or if there isn't any ask Vet for a cloaca swab. Lack of apetite could be a symptom of heavy infestation.