A tortoise cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
:tort: First Of All I Love This New Tortoise Smilie Its Brilliant (Havnt been on for a while)

Looking to build crush a bigger cage and have been looking at plastic storage containers they seem to be small in width and long in length (dont know correct measurements) whats the right size (guesstimate) for a 4/5 year old tortoise?? HErmann !! xx

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Go big or go home! I don't know what is available to you over there across the pond ;) but bigger is always better. The biggest storage container you can find would probably be the smallest you should go. If that makes sense.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I like these storage boxes (Sterilite, etc)...but only for babies...say the first year or two...and Jeff said it best...the biggest is the smallest you'd wanna go with.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I agree, they aren't really fit for adults IMO.
How are you and little Crush doing?? Pictures? :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i think you missed out buying the biggest... Xmas tree storage boxes...
try looking at book self options... they arent seasonal, you can find them at thrift stores yard sales,, craigslist... pretty cheap.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
A good working rule of thumb, that is actually law in some European countries, is to make it about 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths. You are supposed to double it for 2-3 animals, then add another 10-20% every additional tortoises or two after that.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Also, you could take 2 larger storage containers and connect them with a pass through, side to side or end to end, to gain space.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I ended up biting the bullet on cost and got a medium Vision tub...very pricey (plus the freight shipping was more than the tub), but I think it'll last a long long time. Stock tanks are another good option. I really didn't want to have to build another table (our first 8 sq ft one wouldn't have lasted very long as it wasn't put together so great), and with the 18 sq ft size (6' by 3' by 16" is the Vision tub, for my 4.5 inch Russian, which I'm hoping won't grow too much more because he isn't getting another enclosure lol) I was wanting to do, it would have been a chore to make it. The biggest storage containers they sell in the U.S. I wouldn't put more than a hatchling/yearling in...and the xmas tree ones I think are too short for the amount of substrate I like. I'd go as big as you can. The tort is old enough you won't have to upgrade again, so this may be the time to invest in something you like that is nice and sturdy? I guess it depends if your priority is low cost, or something that is sturdy, looks nice, etc. Ours was the latter. Also keep in mind with something larger you need to budget likely for more light bulbs, fixtures, stands, substrate, etc. If you go with a bookshelf, look for one with a nice solid back, and double check that the height is going to be good enough, as some are rather shallow. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.