A new Russian

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Well I did something impulsive today... I acquired another Russian. A friend had seen an ad for a Russian and sent it to me thinking my Diego might need a friend (yes, I know better). Well after reading the ad and seeing how this poor thing was being kept I couldn't stop thinking about her (actually upon getting him home I realized it's a male). Everything was wrong about poor Shelly's care and they'd had her/him for 13 years! So I had to get her/ him out of there. My plan is to get him healthy and eating a good diet and then rehome him to someone who will take proper care of him, maybe here on TFO. So my immidiate question is do I need to worry about this tortoise getting mine sick? I'm not, repeat NOT, putting them together but I'm wondering if Shelly can occupy Diego's indoor enclosure while Diego is outside enjoying the sunshine and vice versa. She's been in her tiny aquarium for 13 years so another week while I build something bigger won't do any harm but it'd be nice for her to have more space right away if possible. She doesn't have any signs of sickness. Thanks for the advice as always!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
I wouldn't use the same enclosure, bowls, etc. for them. Yes, your tortoise could get sick from exposure to things the new tortoise was near.
Ok thanks for that. I had suspected but needed that assurance. I'll keep all things separate. Thx!